The Housing Occupancy Agreement is a University document required by the Board of Trustees. The agreement is necessary to provide the University housing program with a stable financial base of operation, which allows for effective planning of expenditures at the lowest possible room rate. The agreement also helps to prevent the residence units from being used for temporary occupancies. The Housing Occupancy Agreement is binding for the student and the University and cannot be broken except under the circumstances outlined below.

Events occur that can affect the circumstances of students during the year. The University is willing to work with students to resolve these situations. However, a student cannot expect financial relief from this agreement if she/he is leaving for convenience or has been able to find housing accommodations at a lower price.

A student should request a release only if he/she has incurred a major change of circumstance beyond his/her control since moving into the residence building that prevents meeting the terms and conditions of the Housing Occupancy Agreement


A “Request for Occupancy Agreement Release” form is available in the Residence Life and Housing Office. The application is to be completed and documentation submitted by the student and returned to the Graduate and Theological Housing Coordinator. A student should not sign any contract or make other financial commitments before receiving an answer to his/her request for release.

Residents should submit the Occupancy Agreement Release to the Housing Office by November 31, if requesting to be released for the following spring semester.  Below is the form:

Occupancy-Agreement-Release (1)

Request for release may be based on medical, financial or other special circumstances and should include appropriate documentation. The following types of documentation must be submitted to support medical and financial requests:


  1. Recommendation from the Drew University Director of Health Services that your situation warrants a release. This is required for a medical release.
  2. Verification from a physician. This is optional.


  1. Verification of your financial aid package;
  2. Verification of your change in circumstances;
  3. Completed budget demonstrating the impact of the Occupancy Agreement release, if granted.

If a release is granted, the housing deposit will be forfeit in addition to one month rent from the day the student moves out.

Occupancy Agreement release is granted for the following:

  1. Withdrawal from school/Leave of absence;
  2. Part-time status (less than full-time load, except during the last semester of degree completion);
  3. Marriage;
  4. Graduation.

A request for agreement release based on these conditions can be made at the Residence Life and Housing Office. Those students taking a leave of absence or withdrawing from the school should initiate that process at the Registrar’s Office.