Seminary Hall was built more than a century ago. It is a two-story, gothic style building of Harvard brick and pink granite. It houses the Drew Theological School, including classrooms, faculty offices, and Craig Chapel. Built with a gift of $100,000 from trustees William Hoyt and John McLean.
HistoryBuilt in 1899, Seminary Hall is a fine example of Gothic style. Its pointed arches and steep roof are typical of this style, but it is more subdued than comparable buildings on Ivy League campuses. The 60-foot by 124-foot structure was built of Harvard brick and granite.
Notice the decorative patterning of brick in the upper levels. Within the building's second floor lies one of the university's finest interior spaces -- the Chapel, with gothic vaults.
The funding for the building was provided by two anonymous trustees, later revealed to be William Hoyt and John S. McLean.
Departments in Seminary Hall
- Dean's Office - Theological School
- Doctor of Ministry Program
- Graduate Division of Religion
- Theological School