Drew University’s collection of ancient manuscripts date from the 11th through 18th centuries, and includes Medieval and Renaissance codices and fragments written in Greek or Latin. Other languages such as Arabic, Hebrew, Ge’ez, Sanskrit and Batak are also represented.
Eight Medieval Greek manuscripts are from the 11th though 14th centuries, and were presented to Drew Theological Seminary by William White of Summit, New Jersey, a Drew University trustee (1876-1897) and regular benefactor. White acquired the volumes from Rev. Dr. Albert L. Long of Robert College in Constantinople. Of these manuscripts, six are New Testament and two contain works by John Klimax, John Chrysostom, and John of Damascus. They have been fully described and published in 2013 by Dr. Nadezhda Kavrus-Hoffmann in her article “Catalogue of Greek Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Collections of the United States of America. Part VII: Madison, NJ, Drew University, Rose Memorial Library.” Manuscripta 57.1 (2013): 57-111.
The six New Testament manuscripts were photographed in 2012 by the Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts, and are partially available for viewing on their website.
The collection is currently uncataloged. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org