Posting Date: Thursday, April 16, 2015
Drew University is a private, liberal arts university located in Madison, N.J., just 29 miles west of New York City. Ranked among the top liberal arts institutions nationwide by U.S. News & World Report, Forbes and Washington Monthly, Drew is also listed in Princeton Review’s Best 378 Colleges. Drew has a total student enrollment of 2,019 in three schools: The College of Liberal Arts, the Caspersen School of Graduate Studies and the Drew Theological School. The undergraduate program offers degrees in 30 different disciplines, while Caspersen and the Theological School offer degrees at the masters of arts and doctorate level.
About INTO University Partnerships
INTO University Partnerships collaborates with leading universities to provide international students with a personalized and highly supportive learning environment in which to acclimatize to life on a US university campus and prepare for long-term academic success. Since 2006, INTO has launched partnerships to internationalize 19 universities in the US, UK, and Asia, including Oregon State University, University of South Florida, Colorado State University, Marshall University, George Mason University, and Drew University.
Drew University is seeking applications for qualified candidates for the position of Instructor in the English Language Program, beginning August 2015. This is a 12-month, renewable contract, and includes full-time benefits. Candidates must demonstrate excellence in teaching, serve as a mentor and resource for other ELP instructors and interns, and actively support the ELP’s mission and goals. Reports to Academic Director.
- M.A. in Applied Linguistics, TESOL, Language Teaching Methodology, Curriculum and Instruction, or related field with 18 hours of TESL courses
- Minimum 3 years full-time experience teaching in a college-level English language program
- Excellent teaching, demonstrated by classroom observations, student evaluations, and sample materials
- Experience with and knowledge of a variety of curricular approaches and methodologies for teaching English as a Second Language to include content-based instruction, English for Academic Purposes
- Evidence of ongoing professional development activities
- Advanced proficiency in spoken and written academic English
- Experience creating materials, projects and rubrics for English language learners
- Evidence of contributions to colleagues’ professional development, demonstrated by workshops, collaborative materials development, or other activities
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, collaborative approach to working with others, and strong communication skills
- Overseas experience.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teach and prepare courses as assigned in fall, spring and summer semesters. Course assignments may be in our Academic English or Pathway programs
- Actively support the mission, core values, and teaching philosophies of the English Language Program
- Contribute to program development by completing at least one program project per year This can be fulfilled by leading a creative team, mentoring an MA intern, or developing a course packet
- Participate in professional development opportunities in the ELP and in the field, including mentoring new faculty members, participating on creative teams, or providing a workshop for other faculty
- Perform all administrative duties as needed, including testing, rating, orientation, emergency and voluntary subbing, meetings, faculty recruitment, dissemination and submission of required forms, etc
- Be available to students and instructors for 10 hours per week in the office (apart from teaching), between the hours of 8-5
Position & Benefits:
- Drew 12-month instructor contract, up for renewal annually
- Salary commensurate with experience; raises are determined by performance evaluation results
- Position includes vacation leave, sick leave, and health benefits
- Instructors are evaluated annually on instructional effectiveness (80%), professional activities (10%), and fulfillment of administrative duties (10%).
To apply please submit cover letter and resume to HR0415firstname.lastname@example.org.
To enrich education through diversity, Drew University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with Department of Homeland Security regulations, successful candidate must be authorized to work in the United States. This position is subject to a background check.