Important Notice

All new students who reside in campus housing will be required to receive a meningitis vaccine before entering their room/apartment. Menactra or Menomune Vaccine can be obtained at Drew if it is not available in your home country. No other type of meningitis vaccine will be accepted.


This section is intended to provide healthcare information to international students who are interested in studying at Drew University. It will answer some common questions that are asked by international students, including questions from students who plan to bring their families to Drew.

This website contains important information about insurance costs. Please read this section carefully.

All full-time students will be billed automatically for the student insurance plan. Students who intend to enroll in the student insurance plan are asked to do so online at the forms menu of treehouse. Students who do not enroll or waiver out  online by the deadline will automatically be enrolled in the plan. International students are encouraged to enroll in the Drew Insurance Plan. However nonimmigrant international students with comparable insurance may waive the student plan Online. The alternate plan must provide coverage everywhere in the US.

Non-immigrant international students are also required to carry Repatriation/Medical Evacuation insurance which may or may not be included in the alternate plan. When it is not included, students can purchase this insurance separately for themselves and family members by completing the copy of the application form found at the “forms” link on treehouse.

Students who bring their spouse or children to Drew and who live in campus housing should provide family members with health insurance. Spouse and family members are not eligible to enroll in the Student Health Insurance plan.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is health care available on campus?

YES. The Drew Health Service is an ambulatory health center located on-campus and exclusively serves the needs of our student community. The Health Service should be the first place you go to if you need advice about your health. We will examine and treat you if you are sick, answer your questions if you want to know more about staying well, and we will refer you to the best off-campus specialists or hospital if you need more care. Most health care received at the student health service is free or is completely covered by the student insurance plan.

In many ways our doctors and nurses serve as your “family” away from home. We care about what happens to our students and we understand how frightening it can be to receive health care in a country where the language or customs are not your own. So in the event that you become ill while studying at Drew, we will “advocate” for you to be sure that you receive the best care possible.

Are emergency services available?

YES. In the unlikely event that you become seriously ill while at Drew, we might refer you to an off-campus specialist or to Morristown Memorial Hospital which is a major medical center only 3 miles from campus. If you have a medical emergency, or if you need immediate help when you are on campus, Drew’s Public Safety Department will respond to your call immediately (24 hours per day, 365 days per year) and arrange for you to be taken to the hospital for evaluation and treatment.

Will you treat my spouse at the student health center?

No.  Spouses and family members are not able to come to the Health Services for treatment; they will be referred to health providers in the community.

Is health care in the US expensive?

YES. That is why it is important to have medical insurance while you are living in the US. That is also why we provide so many services on-campus at no cost to students.

You should also know that off-campus specialist or hospital care will be completely or partially covered by the student insurance plan. Students should expect to pay any remaining costs related to off-campus specialists, emergency care, hospitalizations or other expensive tests or treatments. Please Note: While the Drew Student Insurance pays up to 80% of covered expenses, no insurance plan covers 100% of these services.

Are international students required to purchase medical insurance?

YES. All full-time students are required to carry medical insurance and students will be billed by Drew automatically. (ALL international students who are not permanent residents are considered full time by INS. Full-time international students who are permanent residents will be charged the same as domestic students). The fee will be found on the tuition bill. If you are NOT billed in error, please telephone the business office at 973-408-3114 or email the business office ( to arrange enrollment.

As of 1996, the US government requires students with J1 visas to purchase family insurance when they bring their spouse and children with them. However, Drew University requires ALL students to purchase medical insurance for their spouse and children who are residing in Drew housing.

While students with comparable insurance may waive out of the Drew plan, international students are strongly urged to purchase the Drew plan. That is because it is usually has better benefits (like no deductible) than most US plans that are bought in your home country. It is also an advantage to have a plan than has been designed for Drew students exclusively.

My friend told me that he did not have to pay for health care for his family when he was a student at Drew several years ago. Has that changed?

YES. Recent changes in federal law have impacted on international students greatly. The US government will no longer allow international students or their families to apply for public assistance anywhere in the US. This means that international students and their families are not eligible to apply for programs such as “charity care”, food stamps, housing subsidies or Medicaid which are government programs intended to assist low income American families. In the future, visas may be withheld due to unpaid medical bills. All international students must be aware of this and plan accordingly.

What does repatriation/medical evacuation mean?

It means that you are required by INS to carry insurance that will pay for your expenses to send you home if you are very ill or to return your body home if you die in this country.

Please understand that purchasing the supplemental insurance does not change or increase the coverage of the basic plan (first $100,000). If a student wishes to purchase the supplemental insurance he/she must purchase this insurance for all family members. For instance, the student cannot enroll one family member (such as a child) without having the supplemental coverage for him/herself and spouse. Students and dependents must be enrolled in the basic plan first to be eligible for the supplemental insurance. It is usually not necessary for international families to purchase this additional insurance if they would choose to go home in case of a serious illness.

I am not sure about the cost of insurance.

Please Obtain a copy of this year’s Drew Brochure 2015-2016 with contains the terms of coverage as well as insurance fees.

Are there any other requirements for registration at Drew University?

YES. The state of New Jersey (and most other states) requires that students have certain immunizations before they can attend class at a college or university in New Jersey. Specifically, it involves obtaining two measles vaccines and at least one mumps and rubella vaccines if a student was born after 1956. As an alternative, students can submit the results of a blood test that confirms that they are immune to these diseases. All students are also required to be screened for tuberculosis within 6 months of attending class at Drew.  Students taking more than 12 credits must have also received the Hepatitis B vaccinations.

Students who reside in campus housing, will be required by law to receive a meningitis vaccine.

If students have difficulty obtaining these vaccines or the TB screening in their own country, they can obtain them on campus at the Health Service immediately upon arrival. These vaccines are not required for spouses although they may be recommended.

Where can I find more information about vaccinations?

Check out the Vaccine Information Statements page, for information provided by the CDC on the required vaccinations. This information is provided not only in English, but also in the following languages: Arabic, Armenian, Cambodian, Chinese, Croatian, Farsi, French, German, Haitian Creole, Hmong, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Serbo-Croatian, Somali, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese, with more languages being added all the time.

Is the blood test to prove that a student is immune to Hepatitis B, Measles, Mumps and Rubella available at Drew?

YES. Blood tests for immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, and hepatitis B are available at the Health Service for a discounted price. Laboratory proof of immunity is an acceptable alternative to receiving the required vaccines. This will be very helpful to new international students who are from countries that do not give these vaccines, or for students who cannot find their childhood records. It should be noted that if the blood test confirms that the student is NOT immune to measles, mumps or rubella, then vaccination for these diseases will be required. Please contact the Health Service at 973-408-3414 to schedule an appointment.