The Higher Education Student Assistance Authority Tuition Aid Grants (TAG) is a state-funded program which provides assistance to students who demonstrate substantial financial need.

Eligible Students

  • Are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens.
  • Have a U.S. diploma or equivalent.
  • Are enrolled, full-time, matriculated undergraduate students.
  • Are legal residents of New Jersey for a minimum of twelve (12) months prior to receiving a grant.
  • Cannot be in default on a student loan or owe a refund on any student grant.

How to Apply

Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be filled out by the required deadlines:

  • Returning students: June 1. If you do not file by this deadline you will lose grant eligibility for both the fall and the spring.
  • New students in the fall and spring: Oct. 1.
  • New students in the spring only: March 1.

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I considered a State resident if I live on campus?
No, residency is determined by your parents’ residence.

Can I receive a TAG grant if I am a part-time student?
No, unless it is your last semester and you are taking at least nine credits.

Can I transfer my out-of-state grant to NJ?
No. If you are eligible for a state grant in the state you reside you must attend college in that state to receive it.

If I receive a state grant, is it automatically renewed each year?
No. You must reapply by the deadlines (by filing a FAFSA) to be eligible.

Contact Information

The Higher Education Student Assistance Authority Scholarships and Grants
P.O. Box 540
Trenton, NJ 08695

For further information, email the Financial Aid Office at or call 973-408-3112.