Let’s Drew This
The Class of 2018 arrived on campus August 29, 2014. Here’s some Drewish advice for our newest students from their venerable predecessors, Drew alumni!
1. Who wouldn’t feel lucky to spend four years in the beautiful Forest? Be one with the trees! Embrace it.
2. Get to know your professors! It’s not hard to do. You’ll find they care about you for reals—and your little dog too.
3. Show your school spirit (you know you’ve got it) and get thee to a Rangers game!
4. Study abroad. Back home, don’t miss the NYC Semesters—they are uniquely Drew.
5. You know that gal in line in front of you? The guy next to you in Psych 101? Your treadmill neighbor? Say hello. You never know who’ll end up a lifelong friend.
6. Play rugby!
7. For great food and good times head to the Commons. Do not miss Thanksgiving Dinner. Don’t make me say it again.
8. Always wished you could sprechen Deutsch? Curious about choreography? Take a class outside your major early on.
9. Try new things. You know how many clubs and activities there are at Drew? A zillion. Still can’t find one you like? Start one yourself.
10. Go to a DUDS production. You can thank me later.
11. Don’t make a rookie mistake and wait until senior year to do an internship. And use the Drew resources available to land one.
12. Try a new route back to your dorm. Aztec stairs, anyone?
13. You will run into squirrels on campus. Don’t be afraid of them, they’re our furry forest friends.
14. Switch your meal plan after the first semester, when it dawns on you that you’ve never actually gone to breakfast.
15. Speak up in class. Seriously. There are only seven of you there, and the prof is sure to notice your silence eventually.
16. Call your family once a week—at least. They miss your face.
17. And don’t forget to study!
18. Enjoy every minute. Your time at Drew will go by very quickly.