Leave of Absence and Voluntary Withdrawal

Students may opt to take a temporary leave from the university for any number of reasons—family emergency, financial distress, illness, etc. A student may leave for one or two semesters and return, or choose a different course of action. Students are advised to discuss their plans with their academic adviser, the Associate Dean for Academic Services, as well as their financial aid counselor (as there may be potential financial implications). To proceed, students must complete the leave-of-absence form which is available through Treehouse (Request a Leave of Absence or Voluntary Withdrawal). Once submitted, the form will be sent to the Associate Dean for Academic Services for approval.

Note that a Leave of Absence is valid until the start of the semester of return indicated by the student on the request form. Students not re-entered before then (see Re-entry process below) will lose access to Drew email. The office of Academic Services 973-408-3327 can assist students seeking an extension to their leave.


Students on a leave of absence or a voluntary withdrawal, who wish to return to Drew, must fill out a re-entry form (at least one month prior to return). With regard to financial aid, students are advised to consult with the Office of Financial Assistance regarding deadlines and eligibility.

Re-entry to Drew is subject to approval by the Academic Standing Committee.