Mission & History.
Drew, a Phi Beta Kappa liberal arts university, includes the College of Liberal Arts, the Drew Theological School and the Caspersen School of Graduate Studies. Drew is located on a beautiful, wooded, 186-acre campus in Madison, New Jersey, a thriving small town close to New York City. It has a total enrollment of more than 2,000 students and 145 full-time faculty members, 94% of whom hold the terminal degree in their field. The Theological and Caspersen schools offer MA and PhD degrees and the College confers BA degrees in 30 disciplines.
Drew is dedicated to exceptional faculty mentorship, a commitment to connecting the campus with the community and a focus on experiential learning. Particularly noteworthy opportunities for undergraduates include the Charles A. Dana Research Institute for Scientists Emeriti (RISE), home of 2015 Nobel Prize Winner for Medicine and Drew Fellow William Campbell, the Drew Summer Science Institute, the Center for Civic Engagement, six semesters in New York City (Wall Street, United Nations, Contemporary Art, Communications and Media, Social Entrepreneurship and Theatre) and several international semester programs. The University also houses the Center for Civic Engagement, the Drew Summer Science Institute, the Center for Religion, Culture & Conflict, the Center for Holocaust/Genocide Study and The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey, an independent professional theater, as well as the United Methodist Archives and History Center and one of the country’s leading concentrations of materials on Willa Cather.
Drew was established in 1867 as a seminary, the antecedent of today’s Drew Theological School. In 1928, a gift led to the addition of the College of Liberal Arts, which began as a small college for men, became co-educational during the 1940s and grew significantly in the 1960s. In the early 1980s, it was granted what is still only the fourth Phi Beta Kappa chapter in the state. The Caspersen School of Graduate Studies, which is devoted to advanced study in the humanities, opened in 1955. Both its established humanities-based PhD programs and its degree programs in fields such as medical humanities are closely aligned to the curricula of the other two schools, from which it draws most of its faculty.