Student organization advisors agree to:
1. Take an active role in advising the student organization.
2. Know the general purpose of the organization and be familiar with all provisions outlined in the organization’s constitution and bylaws.
3. Know the officers of the organization and the current members of the organization.
4. Meet with the organization’s president on a regular basis (at least once per month).
5. Remain informed of all activities sponsored and conducted by the student organization and attend events as feasible.
6. Establish with the student organization president the manner and frequency in which the advisor will participate in the organization’s activities, e.g., programs, social events, and meetings.
7. Be knowledgeable about and adhere to University polices and procedures which pertain to student organization and inform the student organization president of his/her responsibility to do the same.
8. Be knowledgeable of policies and procedures listed in the Drew Student Handbook (Daniel’s Dictionary) and review this code with the student organization president.
9. Offer guidance to the organization on goal setting, organization management, program planning, problem solving and group evaluation.
10. Know the organization’s process for obtaining new members.
11. Report to the Director of Student Activities any activities which may or will violate University policies.
Requirements for Serving as an Advisor
1. An advisor should be a full-time employee of Drew University. This staff member serves as the primary advisor to the student organization. Exceptions can be made at the discretion of the Director of Student Activities.
2. Advisors are required to attend the various social events of the student organizations they advise, held during and after normal business hours.
3. Advisors should be knowledgeable of Check Requests/Purchase Orders and Room Reservation forms.
4. Advisors may assist at the door of an event, checking identification of students as they enter and will supervise the cash operation of any event.
5. In the case of an emergency at such an event, the advisor should exercise his/her best judgment and work closely with the Public Safety