Online Language Placement Exams
At Drew, all students are required to demonstrate proficiency through the intermediate level in one foreign language. Proficiency may be demonstrated by any one of the following ways:
• Successful completion of an intermediate course (currently numbered 201) at Drew;
• A score of 680 or higher on the appropriate SAT II;
• A score of 4 or 5 on the appropriate Advanced Placement examination;
• Placement beyond the intermediate level on a Drew language placement examination as determined by the appropriate language program.
Incoming first year students and transfer students should take the language placement examination before registering for the fall semester if you are continuing with a language you started in high school or if you speak the language at home. If you plan to fulfill your language requirement with a language you begin at Drew, you will need to complete three semesters of the language. It is highly recommended that these three semesters be completed consecutively.
The language placement examination must be taken before enrolling in the first language course at Drew if you would like to start at an advanced level (not the 100-level entry course).
All placement exams are required only if you have experience with the language and you would like to test into a higher level than the initial language course.
Please note, any student who places beyond the intermediate level of a language will be required to take an additional exam during August Orientation. A faculty member will confirm this additional exam with you.
- French, Italian, German, and Latin – These are online exams can be completed from anywhere, prior to your on-campus Summer Orientation attendance or Distance Orientation advisement meeting.
Special Note: The Following Exams Can Only Be Taken On Campus
- Arabic, Chinese, Russian, and Spanish
- Spanish can be taken online during Summer Orientation on either June 24, 25, or 26; or at August Orientation on Friday, August 23, 2019.
- Arabic, Chinese, and Russian are only offered during August Orientation on Friday, August 23, 2019. These exams are oral and/or written.