From Undergraduates:

From Faculty, Administrators, and Staff:

How do I make an appointment to see a counselor?

To see a counselor, call extension 3398 or come to Holloway Annex 21 (it’s adjacent to the Health Center across from the University Commons). In either case, you will usually speak with our Administrative Assistant. She will give you a few short forms to read and complete and schedule with a counselor.

What happens if I need a psychiatrist for medication?

We do not have a psychiatrist on staff. However, we have a referral list of psychiatrists in the area that are accessible by public transportation.

Where is the Center located on Campus?

We are located on the South end of Drew University’s campus in Holloway Annex 21 adjacent to the Health Center across from the University Commons.

Do I have to pay to see a psychiatrist?

You are responsible for the psychiatrist’s fee. If you have family insurance, you should consult with your parents and get a referral from your primary care physician. If you have Drew insurance, it will cover some of the cost of both the initial consultation and follow up to a certain limit.

Is there a fee for counseling?

No. Our services are free to all Drew students, including the CLA, Grad, and Theo.

What if I don’t want my parents to know that I’m seeing a counselor?

If you are 18 or older, you are considered to be an adult. That means that you have the right to what is called confidentiality. This means that your counselor is under legal and ethical obligation to keep private all discussions with you within the counseling relationship. This would include your decision to see (or not see) a psychiatrist or whether or not you’re in counseling.

Is there a time limit?

Yes, sort of. We are considered to be a “short term” facility. That means, if your issues have been long in duration and cannot be ameliorated in 3-12 sessions or if your goals cannot be approximated in 12 sessions, we will try to find you an off campus, local referral. If we believe that we can help you accomplish what you hope to in 12 sessions, then you will be assigned a counselor here.

So, you can never reveal information to anyone?

For the most part, yes  But, there are times when we are under legal and ethical obligation to reveal information. For example, if you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else or in cases of child abuse, we must inform the appropriate people who are most likely to be able to help you or the child.

What happens at the end of 12 sessions?

At the end of 12 sessions, if you and your counselor agree, counseling will be terminated. If you and your counselor agree that another semester would be beneficial or all that is needed to approximate or meet your goals, then you can continue with your counselor. Otherwise, we will help you find someone off campus with whom you can have “long term” or “on going” counseling.

What if my parents call and ask for information about me?

We can’t and don’t reveal any information regarding our clients, without having our client’s written permission.  Parents do call us because they have a concern about their students.  We will not let parents know if the student is or is not in counseling, nor will we discuss the student.  However, we will listen to your parent and we will try to help them with THEIR problem.  Often, we recommend that the parents go for counseling; that the family go for counseling; or, that the parent refer their student to counseling.  We also tell them that we will not let them know if the student has actually come for counseling (unless we have the student’s written permission), but that they should follow up with their student.

Can I return after completing my counseling and my 12 sessions?

Yes. Frequently, other issues arise or something happens in your life that triggers issues. You most certainly can return to counseling.

If I am in counseling, can my professors or advisors call to find out?

If you think someone needs to know or should know that you are in counseling, and WHAT they should know is up to you. You can let whomever know on your own or sign a written consent for us to reveal information to whomever, including faculty, staff, administration, parents, or other services on campus (Health Services, Campus Ministry, Dean of Educational and Student Affairs, RD’s, etc..) We will notify no one without your written permission.


What do I do when I need to speak with a counselor but the Center is closed?

If you are in crisis and the Counseling Center is closed, please contact Public Safety, 973-408-4444 (emergency number, available 24/7). Other crisis numbers include 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or Morristown Medical Center Crisis Intervention (973-540-0100).

Who makes up your staff and how are they qualified?

Our staff comprises two full time counseling psychologists who are Ph.D’s, licensed or license eligible (that means will be licensed). We also have a part time Ph.D. clinical psychologist on staff. In addition, we do have doctoral level interns and practicum students and, at times, volunteer, licensed eligible Ph.D.’s or Psy.D.’s. To find out more about our staff, you should go to our professional staff page.

What kind of problems do you handle in counseling?

We have seen students for all kinds of reasons, ranging from academic issues to psychosis. Some of the most common reasons are stress, depression, interpersonal conflicts, loneliness and homesickness, inability to start papers or late assignments, deterioration of quality of work, feeling discouraged, lack of motivation, suicidal crisis and other crises, bipolar issues, and alcohol and drug issues.

When do I refer a student to counseling?

If you notice that a student has poor study habits or procrastinates, sleeps in class, has poor personal hygiene, appears very sad and unmotivated, fears speaking in front of others, is disruptive in class, exhibits hostility toward you or peers, is talking about suicide, or has any other behavior that causes you concern or alarm, refer the student to counseling.

How do I refer?

Except in cases of life threat to self or others, counseling is voluntary. But, if you think a student could benefit from counseling, here are some basic ground rules:

Speak to the student in a private place (perhaps your office) in a straight-forward manner and be specific regarding your observations causing your concern. Avoid anything negative about the student and make clear that your recommendation is based on your observations of the student’s behavior

If the student is amenable, you can immediately contact us at x3398 with the student present. The student can then come to our office and will probably be seen the same day. Make sure the student knows where we are located and give the student our number.

In some cases, it may be appropriate to walk the student to our office.

Follow-up with the student to show that you continue to have an interest in him/her.

Will you provide me with information about the student that I referred?

No. We strictly adhere to the student’s right to privacy and confidentiality. We will not inform you as to whether or not the student saw us unless the student signs a release to do so. Some students do not come to counseling after agreeing to do so and we cannot let you know that they changed their minds. Some students will sign a release allowing us to inform you that they came to counseling, but nothing more. And, some will not allow even that or some allow a total information exchange. The best way to gain information regarding a student of concern is to follow up with the student.

What behaviors will a student exhibit if they are in need of emergency attention?

Behaviors displayed by students who are in crisis and in need of emergency attention might include:

Highly disruptive behaviors, hostility, aggressiveness, violence, etc.

Inability to communicate clearly (garbled speech, slurred speech, unconnected or disjointed thoughts).

Loss of contact with reality (seeing or hearing things that aren’t there, or beliefs and behaviors that are greatly at odds with probability)

Suicidal thoughts that are immediate, including plans or methods.

Homicidal thoughts.

In an emergency situation, stay calm. Try not to leave the student alone. Find someone to stay with the student while calls are made to helping resources (Public Safety, x4444; Counseling and Psychological Services, x3398). If a student directly threatens himself or someone else, or otherwise behaves bizarrely, immediate attention is needed. Stay with the student or have someone stay with him/her until help arrives.

What do I do if I think a student might be suicidal?

If a student says anything to you that suggests that the student might be thinking of harming or killing him/herself, ask the student directly. Some comments suggesting suicidal thoughts may be subtle, others may be more obvious. You might hear, for example, “I just think life is not worth living.”  “Things have been so bad lately, I just want to give up and disappear.”  “Everything in my life has gone wrong, I’m not sure that I want to go on.”

In addition, you might notice a depressed mood or withdrawing behavior. A good student might be suddenly doing poorly or not completing assignments. The student’s hygiene might decline.

If you think the student is so depressed that suicide might be an option, CALL US and refer the student to us.

If you believe that the student might be in imminent danger, do not hesitate to contact us immediately. You can call us with the student present and walk the student to us.

What do I do if I think a student might be homicidal?

If a student says or writes anything to indicate s/he might be homicidal, speak to the student about your concern (if you feel safe meeting with the student) and refer the student to us. (Try not to over-react in that students will write on sensational topics, violence, and narratives in which people hurt themselves in order to appear “creative.”) But, if a student’s mood or behavior matches what they are saying or writing, there may be cause for worry.

If you think you might be at risk, do not meet with the student alone. That is, if you are going to talk to the student in your office, make sure Public Safety or others are in your vicinity. Do not completely close your office door. If the student becomes violent, call out for help. (If a student is behaving in a very hostile, violent manner, do not call Counseling, call Public Safety x4444. We will be notified and the student will be transported to the hospital.)

What can I do if I am thinking that a student needs counseling, but I am just not sure?

Call us. We often consult with faculty when a situation is unclear, distressing, and/or difficult. We will work with you through a process or course of action.