Metasites: Lists of Links & Web Resources on Women
- Feminist Majority Foundation’s Internet Gateway
- The Women’s Studies Database, University of Maryland
- Planned Parenthood
- Femina: “Your Complete Guide to the Web: Sites for, by and about Women”
- Digital Librarian: List of Women’s Resources
- SOSIG: Social Sciences Internet Gateway
Search from this page for “women,” “feminism,” etc.
- Gender-Related Electronic Forums
An annotated, frequently updated, award winning listing of publicly accessible electronic forums (also known as “e-mail lists”) related to women or to gender issues.
- Women’s Studies/Women’s Issues Resource Sites
Excellent and comprehensive list maintained by Prof. Joan Korenman, University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
- “Academic Info” List of Sites in Women’s Studies
- National Women’s Studies Association Home Page
- Women’s Studies/Women’s Issues Resource Sites
Created by Joan Korenman at University of Maryland Baltimore County.
- Gender Inn (University of Cologne)
A very large (6000+) database of resources in feminist criticism and theory indexed with multiple keywords.
- Women’s Studies: A Research Guide
New York Public Library Center for the Humanities.
- WSSLINKS: Women and Gender Studies Web Sites
A site created by the Women’s Studies Section of the Association of College and Research Libraries.
- Women’s Studies Resources (University of Iowa)
- Women’s Studies Database (University of Maryland)
Information on conferences, calls for papers, bibliographies, lists of links
- Listing of Women’s Studies Programs, Departments and Research Centers
- Core Lists in Women’s Studies
Compiled and maintained by the U. of Wisconsin System Women’s Studies Librarian.
- Women’s Studies Database (University of Northern Arizona)
- Women’s Studies Information Sources at the University of York Library
- European Women’s Studies and Research Programmes
Information about women’s studies programs, conferences, and resources in Europe.
- Feminist Theory Website
Bibliographies in many areas. Developed by a faculty member at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- Feminist Theory
From Women’s Studies Resources, a site developed by Karla Tonella at the University of Iowa.
- NOEMA: The Collaborative Bibliography of Women in Philosophy
A large, searchable site with bibliographies on feminist epistemology, ethics, political theory, and aesthetics.
- Feminist Theory Page from Northern Arizona University’s Women’s Studies Website
- Northern Arizona University List of Feminist Theory Links
- “Defining Chicana Feminisms in their Own Words”
From Making Face, Making Soul: A Chicana Feminist Homepage
- Ecofeminist Theory (Background Bibliography and Sources)
From a site for a Harvard Divinity School Course.
- Excerpts from a chapter of The Postmodern Bible (Yale Univ Press)
On feminist and womanist interpretations of the Bible.
- Womanist Theory and Research
Site created by the Afro-American Studies Dept. at the University of Georgia, includes an on-line journal.
Women’s Studies in Specific Fields or Disciplines
- American Women’s History: A Research Guide
- Internet Women’s History Sourcebook
- Diotoma: Women and Gender in the Ancient World
- Selections from the National American Women’s Suffrage Association Collection
Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Library of Congress
- ViVa: A Bibliography of Women’s History in Historical and Women’s Studies Journals
- New Jersey Women’s History
- New Jersey Women’s History, Rutgers University
Math and Science
- Women and Science: A Guide to Research
A site created by the Louisiana State University Library which includes bibliographies of reference sources, books, and articles.
- 4000 Years of Women in Science
Biographies, Bibliographies, News, Information, Photos and a Quiz.
- The Women and Math Project (University of Oregon)
Contains biographies, bibliographies, links, conferences, statistics.
- WISE: Archives of Women in Science and Engineering (Iowa State University)
- Voices from the Gap (University of Minnesota)
Resources on Women Writers of Color.
- The Brown University Women Writers Project
A text-base of women writers before 1830
- Women Writers Resource Project (Emory University)
A collection of edited and unedited texts by women writing in English from the seventeenth century through the nineteenth century.
- A Celebration of Women Writers (Carnegie Mellon University)
- The Victorian Women Writers Project (Indiana University)
A text-base of transcriptions of work in various genres.
- The General Commission on Archives and History of the United Methodist Church
Bibliography of Women in the Wesleyan and United Methodist Traditions.
Special Topics & Interdisciplinary Sites
- The Hunger Site
An independent site with information on world hunger and strategies for action.
Organizations & Activism
- National Organization for Women (NOW) Home Page
- Feminist Majority Foundation
- American Association of University Women
- League of Women Voters
- Girls Incorporated
- Women in Community Service
Mission: To reduce the number of young women living in poverty by promoting self-reliance and economic independence.
- Third Wave Foundation
Metasites and Web Resources on Activism
- Institute for Women’s Policy Research: “Resources for Research on Women’s Lives”
- Feminist Activist Resources on the Net
- List of Women’s Activist Organizations
- Women Leaders on Line — Women Organizing for Change
- Chicana/Latina Foundation
A Website designed to create and facilitate a global network of women.
Organizations Focused on Specific Issues
- Women’s Sports Foundation
- Women Watch
UN Information and Resources on Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women
- Feminist for Animal Rights
Women’s Health & Body Issues
- Feminist Women’s Health Center
- National Asian Women’s Health Organization
- National Latina Health Network
- National Breast Cancer Coalition
- National Alliance of Breast Cancer Organizations
- National Abortion Rights Action League
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice
- Women’s Voices for the Earth
- Center for Health and Environmental Justice
- Mothers and Others
Guide to Green Consumer Practices and other community-based initiatives.
- Toxic Links Coalition Homepage
- Econet: Links on Environment
Global Feminism & Human Rights
(See also “International/Global Women and Feminism” section below.)
International/Global Women & Feminism
- Center for Women’s Global Leadership (Global Center)
- UNIFEM (United Nations Development Fund for Women)
- Women’s Human Rights Conventions (texts)
University of Minnesota Human Rights Library.
- Women Watch
The UN Internet Gateway on the Advancement and Empowerment of Women.
- Sisterhood is Global Institute
- Aviva, Women Worldwide
- International Gender Studies Resources (U of California, Berkeley)
- Women’s Issues — Third World (Mining Company Resource Page)
- UNICEF Website
Scroll to section on women.
- Charlotte Bunch: “The intolerable status quo: Violence against women and girls”
- Outlawing violence against women: A first step
- Women at top levels of government worldwide by sectors
- WIDNET: Women in Development Network
Particularly useful for Comparative Statistics on Women in Different Regions of the World.
- Network of East/West Women (Women in Eastern Europe)
- Female Genital Mutilation Education and Networking Project
- RAINBO: Research, Action and Information Network for the Bodily Integrity of Women
Focuses principally on the issue of female genital mutilation.
- Africa – Women
Stanford University Library Page of Print and Web Resources on African Women.
- Web Resources on Women, Gender and Sexuality in Latin America
- Russian Feminism Resources
- SAWNET: South Asian Women’s Network
Women of Color
- Women of Color Web Sites
List of links to women of color websites from Joan Korenman’s UMBC Women’s Studies Site.
- Voice of the Shuttle: Minority Studies Page
List of links to other pages mainly related to the Humanities.
- Chicana Studies Web Page
Bibliographies in a variety of fields, organizations, resources, lists of links.
- Digital Schomburg African-American Women of the Nineteenth Century
A collection of digital texts maintained by the New York Public Library.
- African American Voices and Visions: A Selected Bibliography of Non- Fiction
Bibliography created by the Chicago Public Library.
- U. of Wisconsin WS Librarian, Websites on Native American Women
- Minnesota Indian Women’s Resource Center
Also includes a list of links on Native American Women.
- Voices from the Gaps
Comprehensive University of Minnesota site focused on U.S. women writers of color. Biography, bibliography and links.
- Bibliography on the Intersections of Gender, Race and Class
- HUES On-Line
Website for the third-wave magazine, Hear Us Emerging Sisters.
Lesbian/Gay, Queer Studies & Resources
- Lesbian Herstory Archives
Includes a history of the Lesbian Herstory Archives (New York), how it works, and what it holds, with a sampling of material from the permanent collection and links to other lesbian resources.
List of links to lesbian resources.
- The Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives
- The Isle of Lesbos
Bibliography on Lesbian poetry, lesbian art, quotation from lesbian literature.
- The Lesbian History Project
- Lesbian Archive and Information Center (Glasgow)
LAIC contains the UK’s largest & most significant collection of materials about Lesbian lives, histories & achievements.
- Twice Blessed: The Jewish GLBT Archives On-Line
- New York Public Library Gay and Lesbian Studies: A Resource Guide
- People with a History: An Online Guide to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans* History
- Queer Resources Directory
- The National Latina/o Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender
- Queers for Reconciliation
An Australian Site dedicated to exploring the connections between queer, black and aboriginal identities.
Libraries & Major Collections on Women
- The Archives for Research on Women and Gender at the University of Texas, San Antonio
- Five College Archives Digital Access Project
A digital archive of women’s history materials including those in the Sophia Smith collection.
- University of Wisconsin Women’s Studies Librarian
- The Sophia Smith Collection at Smith College
- Schlesinger Library at Radcliffe College
- Jewish Women’s Archives
- Documents from the Women’s Liberation Movement
An On-line Archival Collection, Special Collections Library, Duke University.
- The Women’s Library (London): The National Library of Women
- Glasgow Women’s Library On-Line
- The Jessie Street National Women’s Library (Sydney, Australia)