Common Ground Camp & Retreat Certification Courses
Students who are using the MTS degree to prepare for ordination in the United Methodist church are required to complete the Basic Graduate Theological Studies (BGTS) as part of the degree. Students who enter in Fall 2002 and later are also required to complete the Capstone Project Seminar as a Drew requirement.
The following list indicates the Drew courses that can fulfill the Deacon requirements. According to the UMC directives, in addition to this “core requirement,” deacons are expected to have a vocational specialization. In all cases it is important for the student to be in touch with his/her conference Board of Ordained Ministry to verify their requirements.
- [ ] Old Testament – BBST 101 or BBST 100
- [ ] New Testament – BBST 111 or BBST 110
- [ ] Church History – CHST 297 (survey for deacons only) or probably CHST 202 or CHST 203
- [ ] Theology – THPH 301 (Systematic Theology)
- [ ] Mission of the Church CHSC 401 (Religion and the Social Process)
- [ ] Evangelism – CHST 244 (Evangelism in the Methodist Tradition)
- [ ] Worship – PSTH 620 (United Methodist Worship), PSTH 505 (The Church at Worship) or Litst/Logon 735 (Hymnology)
- [ ] History, Doctrine & Polity I – CHST 560 or LGON 560
- [ ] History, Doctrine & Polity II – CHST 561 or LGON 561
- [ ] Capstone Project – MTS 675
- 18 credits of electives.
All Camp/Retreat Certification courses may count as electives.
LGON 560 and 561 may be substituted for LGON 240 for the UM Camp/Retreat Certification requirements.
Check out Drew’s new M.A. in Ministry.