huffmonDr. Herbert B. Huffmon, professor of Old Testament Studies, retired after teaching at Drew since 1968.

Dr. Huffmon is an acknowledged expert on the literature, culture, and languages of ancient Israel, and the ancient Near East more broadly. His proficiency in ancient languages in general, and Near Eastern languages in particular, is impressive in the extreme.
In the wider scholarly world, Dr. Huffmon is an acknowledged expert on prophecy in the ancient Near East. In particular, he is an internationally acknowledged expert on Mari archives, a major archeological find of some 25,000 Akkadian tablets from the early second millennium B.C.E., which includes prophetic texts with significant parallels to biblical prophetic texts. Dr. Huffon’s doctoral dissertation, subsequently published by Johns Hopkins University Press, was on the Mari find, as have many of the more than 70 scholarly articles, book chapters, and encyclopedia articles that he has published. The journals in which he has published have included some of the leading peer-reviewed journals in his field, such as the Journal of Biblical Literature, Vetus Testamentum, and the Catholic Biblical Quarterly.

A further index of the quality and influential nature of Dr. Huffmon’s scholarly work is that he was in 2004 the recipient of a Festschrift, a volume of essays celebrating his scholarly achievements, titled Inspired Speech: Prophecy in the Ancient Near East. Essays in Honor of Herbert B. Huffmon, and published by T. & T. Clark International, one of the leading publishers of critical biblical scholarship.

Please share your fond memories and well wishes in the guest book below.

Posted in gdr

24 Responses to “Honoring Dr. Herbert B. Huffmon”

1. Kenneth Ngwa says:

Dear Herb,
    I wish you all the best as you transition into another phase of your life and work. It has been a great pleasure to know and work with you here at Drew, and I thank you for your outstanding work as a scholar, teacher, and mentor.

2. Michael Oliver says:

Dr. Huffmon,

You were the first professor I had when I began my M.Div. at Drew in the fall of 2006, and it was a wonderful introduction to theological studies. Thank you. I wish you the best.

3. Gerald Liu says:

Dear Prof. Huffmon,

I’m honored to inhabit the office where so much of your genius took place. It was a pleasure to meet you and I wish you every blessing in retirement.

4. Heather Murray Elkins says:

Dear Herb:

Thank you for your courage to teach in the Forest after the “giants” departed. You helped to turn their curse into a blessing. Thank you for being one of those in 1985 who called for the vision of an truly inclusive faculty to be reached by the end of the 20th century. What we are now is what you dreamed then.

You have served as a doorkeeper in this House of God for generations. May the Gates of LIfe be open for you now and forever.

Heather

5. Dong Sung Kim says:

Thank you, Dr. Huffmon, for your presence in the Drew community.
    Your keen scholarly insight and genuine care for students, which you have demonstrated to us in classrooms, will be greatly missed. I believe that your intellectual rigor and energy will continue to thrive even after retirement.

Best wishes!
    Dong Sung

6. Ted Linn says:

Hi Herb,
    Remember all those indoor doubles we played, and also some outdoor singles. You seemed to think you could call the serve to me! Yikes! I am still playing tennis not quite so vigorusly but still having. I also cook the occasional Chinese meal ala Mai. Wasn’t that fun? Hope you are well and we might cross paths some day. Take care, Herb.

Ted

7. Ted Linn says:

Hi Herb,

I recall indoor doubles with you Perry and John. Some outdoor singles when you often thought you could call your serve in or out! And coo0king chinese food with Mai and at you home. All the best.

Ted

8. Wesley Ariarajah says:

Dear Herb,
    I clearly remember the breakfast meeting you had with me seventeen years back when I first came to Drew to be interviewed by the search committee for the position in Ecumenical Theology. Your warm friendship to the unknown new comeer, and your “no-nonsense directness” when you speak about something were refreshing. You have extended this friendship through the years I had been here. Thank you. Many thanks also for the deep scholarship and pastoral insights that you have shared with generation of students. As we retire at the same time, I wish you all the blessings of a well-earned retired life- Wesley.

9. Stephen Moore says:

Dear Herb,

We’ve always been on different planets with regard to the kinds of biblical scholarship we each produce–there’s no denying that–but I’ve always admired and appreciated your linguistic and historical expertise.

I’ve also been grateful for your various kindnesses over the years, beginning with my arrival at Newark airport from England with my wife and daughter in the summer of 1999 to begin my job at Drew. You and your then doctoral student Carl Savage were waiting at the airport to meet us, greet us warmly and make us feel welcome, and drive us to Madison.

Sincere wishes for a long, fruitful, and happy retirement,

Stephen

10. Kevin D. Miller says:

Grace and peace Herb,
    I am one of the few persons at Drew who is able to say you were my professor, my colleague and someone who enjoyed seeing the Mets win a baseball game! Sam Phillips and I still talk, with admiration, about the wonderful experience you gave to us in our Old Testament class.

I remember our first class with clarity as you gave us the ground rules for the class. Class started at 7pm. For many of us it was a long day of work followed by class. No time to stop and eat. You pointed your finger and gave us the rules, “There will be no eating in my class… unless of course, you are hungry.” Thank you for that! We nibbled on snacks, but feasted on the depth of your lessons.

I still reflect on the “Prophet, Priest and Sage” class that I took with you. Thank you for pouring into my life and ministry. I pray and wish you the very best that God has to offer. Remain blessed in the Lord! (Go Mets!)

11. Melanie Johnson-DeBaufre says:

Dear Herb

Thank you for your strong commitment to fostering the study of history and archaeology in biblical studies here at Drew. Getting to know the Israelites and their neighbors through your classes has been an important part of so many Drew students’ experiences.

I wish you all blessings for your retirement, although I am sure that you will keep researching too! I admire your dedication to the field and appreciate the years we shared as colleagues.

All best wishes,
    Melanie

12. angella son says:

herb,

thank you for your rigorous scholarship, dedicated teaching, and caring mentorship it was also wonderful having you on the faculty trip to s korea, especially hiking up and down in snow from Bulku Temple to sukgulam. may G bless you and your family as you transition into a new phase in your life.

as

13. Tanya Linn Bennett says:

Dear Herb,
    You are one of the few remaining faculty members I grew up among here on campus. Your presence in our family home, with my dad on the tennis court, and here as a professor and colleague has helped to me value persistence, deep commitment and loyalty. Thank you for all you have brought to Drew in the most challenging and most rewarding of times. May God bless you richly as you move into this next time in your life. Peace–Tanya

14. Rlandall Bailey says:

Dr. Huffmon, Congratulations on reaching this milestone in your life. You taught me so much and I greatly value you insights, scholarship, and friendship. You were one of the greatest blessings of my “Drew Years (1981-1987) and I still see your imprint on my teaching and mentoring of my own students. May God Bless You in Every Way Possible.

15. Floyd Parker says:

Dr. Huffman,
    Thanks so much for making an introverted southern boy believe that he could indeed complete a PhD in biblical studies. Thanks also for the introduction to hieroglyphics, for serving as a guide through the MET and the Brooklyn museums (I thought of you last month when I visited the MET with my family), and for being such a great mentor to me and your other students. Perhaps in “retirement” you will produce several more books and articles.
    Blessings,
    Floyd Parker

16. Jeff Markay says:

Hello Herb,
    I have fond memories of you worshiping at the Morristown United Methodist Church in the early 90′s and then having you has a professor. Thanks for your work and ministry at Drew for so many years. May God continue to bless you in this new season of your life.
    Peace,
    Jeff

17. Traci West says:

Congratulations Herb! Your scholarship and teaching have touched the lives of so many all around the world. You have been a wonderful model for our Theo School students of a serious scholar who is also deeply committed to the life of the church. Thank you for the generous contributions of service that you have made to Drew over so many years.
    Sincerely,
    Traci

18. Laurel Kearns says:

Herb,

Thanks for all that you have done for Drew. My time shared with you was only 20 of your many decades at Drew, and thus I only know part of your long leadership and commitment to Drew. I have always admired your spirit, your humor, and your dedication to scholarship and teaching, and to DTS. My fondest memory is, as Angella mentioned, our hiking in the snow in Korea.

I wish you all the best in retirement, and many more adventures!

Laurel

19. Beth Quick says:

I never had you for class, Dr. Huffmon, but your impact was felt on campus during my time at Drew nonetheless (sometimes with the Old Testament coming dramatically to life in chapel through with your guidance!) Many blessings in your retirement!

20. Jeremiah Williamson says:

Dr. Huffmon,

You are a generous teacher and a great person. I appreciate your kindness and your intelligence. Thank you.

21. Ben Comings says:

Dear Dr H:

Thanks so much for being my OT Prof. I had a great time and learned a lot of interesting things. I really enjoyed writing papers for you – it’s good to have a prof who is so engaged. I hope your retirement brings you a lot of happiness, and that this new chapter in your life is full of joy and good experiences.

Ben

22. Ron Verblaauw says:

Dr. Huffmon,

Best wishes to you on your retirement from Drew. I recall our time in Biblical Studies during June 2009 – a difficult time for you as you traveled back and forth to North Carolina to be with your wife. Yet in our summer intensive you were fully present with us, making the Hebrew Scriptures come alive during those long, very warm June nights. Thank you!

Your encouragement, in your role as my advisor, was appreciated.

Wishing you good health, and great joy, in this next phase of life’s sacred journey.

Ron

23. Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Herb,

What an honor it was for me to have crossed paths with you for 2 1/2 years after knowing so many of your former students. It was a sheer joy to have served as your Dean and, more excitingly, to have served on dissertation committees with you. I continue to be deeply impressed with your breadth of knowledge and command in our shared field on interest. You have taught and influenced a few generations of students and scholars of Old Testament/Hebrew Bible.

I wish you blessings and good health in your retirement!

Jeffrey Kuan

24. billy cicchino says:

Dr. Huffmon,

I want to wish you all the happiness in the world in your retirement – you deserve it! I thoroughly enjoyed your classes and they enriched my life. Thank you!

Blessings!

Billy Cicchino