Visionary leadership for change
Visionary leadership for change

It is with a mixture of sadness and great pride that the Drew Theological and University community bids farewell to Dean Kah-Jin Jeffrey Kuan, who has been appointed to serve as the seventh president of Claremont School of Theology. As Rev. Dr. Kuan has become a prominent leader in United Methodist higher education, we cannot be surprised that he has been called to this important work leading a sister United Methodist school on the west coast. But he will be deeply missed!

During his deanship at Drew, Dean Kuan was instrumental in extending the global networks of the Theological School, strengthening faculty structures and processes, and launching new projects in interculturally-minded curriculum development. He worked to revitalize Drew’s United Methodist connections and strengthen the commitment to theological education among leaders in communities of faith. In addition to his visionary leadership, his deep pastoral care for the community manifested itself in a myriad of ways as he steadfastly walked with Drew students, faculty, and staff through a considerable number of natural disasters and losses. Dean Kuan is fond of saying that Drew Theological School is “a special place.” The Drew community thanks Dean Jeffrey Kuan for being such an important part of what makes this place so special.

On this page we invite students, faculty, staff and alums to share a fond memory or a word of thanks below so that we can send Dean Jeffrey off to his new calling with our deep gratitude and an abundance of blessings.

Posted in Uncategorized

200 Responses to “Following the Call – Words of Gratitude and Blessing for Dean Kah-Jin Jeffrey Kuan”

1. “For all that has been — Thanks.
    For all that shall be — Yes.”

Dag Hammarskjold’s quote from Markings says it best.

Heather Murray Elkins

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Heather. I have appreciated working with you very much. You reminded me to keep looking up and not look down. I did and am leaving Drew with a sense of accomplishing some good things in a short time.

Thank you for setting this up.

2. Virginia Burrus says:

Dear Jeffrey,

Of your many contributions as Dean, I am particularly appreciative of your unflagging support for the GDR–cultivating a diverse and international student body and increasing student scholarships. Your recruiting efforts were particularly impressive, as each year you personally phoned each admitted student, sometimes more than once!

You leave Drew’s Phd program stronger, without a doubt.

I wish you all the best, as you meet a fresh set of challenges and opportunities at Claremont!

peace,
    Virginia

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Virginia:

You were the one who had a big role to play in encouraging me to come to Drew. I am glad I got to work with you closely to strengthen the GDR. As you and I both take our leaves from Drew, we can both leave knowing that the GDR is stronger and in good hands. Blessings to you as you move to Syracuse. They are fortunate to have you.

Jeffrey

3. J. Terry Todd says:

Dear Jeffrey,

You have brought many gifts and graces to Drew Theological School in your role as Dean. I want to thank you especially for your attentiveness to the spiritual as well as intellectual needs of this community. To international students who have traveled so far to be here, you have been a welcoming presence and a grace-filled mentor; to LGBTQ students and faculty, a prophetic ally in your advocacy both here at Drew and in the wider church, and in your leadership with the Reconciling Ministries Network; to those of us grieved by the sickness and deaths of colleagues and friends, you dispensed much-needed hugs and extended words of solace and hope. You have inspired us to work for shalom.

The next generation of Claremont students and faculty are fortunate to have you as their new President. We bless you as you go, as your presence here has blessed us in so very many ways.

Yours faithfully,

Terry

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Terry. I am delighted to have been able to work with you closely in the last two years, in your work as chair of CoF, and in the support of our LGBTQI students. We have made progressed but there is still much work ahead. I will continue to engage this work wherever I am.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

4. Bruce hartman says:

You have been our friend, leader and teacher. You did it with humility and caring. We appreciate your listening and openness. Our journeys are better because you came along. You will always be a dear friend.

Bruce

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thanks, Bruce. It has been a blessing to have known and worked with students like you. I know that you will be a tremendous blessing to the ministry of The United Methodist Church!

Jeffrey

5. Teresita says:

Dear Dean Kuan,
    Thank you seems too short to express my gratitude for your paving the way for me to Drew Theological School. I have been impressed with your exemplary servant leadership and vision. It was a blessing to attend General Conference 2012 with our class and of course, going on the best Cross Cultural trip ever to Malaysia. I know you will continue to do great things in Claremont and beyond. Looking forward to when our paths cross again. May God continue to bless your journey and equip you with wisdom.

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Teresita! I am deeply blessed to have encouraged you to come to Drew and to have worked with you closely in two classes. You are a blessing to this community and you will continue to do well in your ministry!

Jeffrey

6. Simon Osunlana says:

Dr. Kuan, Godspeed as you take on a new challenge. The short time I met you was very impactfull. You have a way of making everybody important including new students like me. I thank you and pray that Gid will grant you His Divine favor in the sight of everyone in California and beyond.

7. Simon Osunlana says:

Dr. Kuan, Godspeed as you take on a new challenge. The short time I met you was very impactfull. You have a way of making everybody feel important including new students like me. I thank you and pray that God will grant you His Divine favor in the sight of everyone in California and beyond.

8. Kenneth Ngwa says:

Dear Jeffrey,
    Thank you for the times we have shared together here at Drew, for your attentiveness to Cross Cultural Studies. Thank you, especially, for your passion and vision for global education. May you continue to inspire others similarly in your new position.

Shalom

Kenneth

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Kenneth! It has been a joy to have worked with you. I know that you will continue to excel in your teaching and research at Drew. I look forward to following your scholarship closely.

Jeffrey

9. Laurel O'Connor says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

Drew will never be the same for having you come and be Dean of the Theological School. You have touched countless lives and worked tirelessly for the students, faculty and staff here.

Thank you for taking the time to learn each student’s name and make us all feel like valued members of the Drew community. Your leadership and humility are examples that we can all follow.

Many thanks,
    Laurel O’Connor

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Laurel! Students are at the very heart of my work and ministry. You have very quickly emerged as a student leader and the community stands to benefit from your leadership.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

10. Kelly Predojevic says:

Dean Kuan,
    Fun time remembering how you met up with our cross-cultural group in Korea(esp. ice cream at the DMZ). Thanks for your support.
    Blessings

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Kelly! It was indeed great to have journeyed with some of you in Korea.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

11. Kate Ott says:

Jeffrey,

As a new faculty to Drew, I appreciate your support and guidance joining a new school. Your care for the students, ally-ship for many of Drew’s causes, and attention toward global theological education are inspiring. Thank you for all the work you have done for Drew and all you will continue to do for Methodist Seminaries and theological education.

Peace and blessings,
    Kate

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Kate:

I appreciate your taking the time to write. One of the highlights of my short time at Drew is to have been the Dean that hired you. You are such an asset to the school and the students. You will continue to do well in your professional career at Drew.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

12. Robert Wafula says:

Dear Prof. Kuan,

May the blessings of Yahweh follow you in your call. You are very passionate about theological education and the production of men/Women called to speak for God. You will be missed greatly.

Wafula

• Tanya Bennett says:

Dear Jeffrey,
      For your creative spirit, compassionate soul, and generous imagination, I am grateful. For bringing those qualities to Drew for whatever time you could commit to this community, I am grateful. For pioneering within the United Methodist theological school system to seek the advancement of seminary education throughout the United Methodist system, I am grateful. Especially, for your care to grow and nurture the leadership and potential you perceive among the students, faculty and staff of Drew Theological School, I am grateful. God has put a powerful calling on your heart and I’m grateful for that, too. I will miss you here, but am sure our paths will cross in the many Methodist places we go. And, you have left us with a strong reminder from the words of the prophet Micah that we are to do justice, and love kindness (hesed) and walk humbly with our God. Peace and blessings, Tanya

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Robert! May you continue to blessed in your studies at Drew!

Jeffrey

13. Nilsa Olivero says:

Dear Dean Kuan,
    I am sad to know that you are leaving Drew Seminary but the reasons are challenging and in the spirit of our training. To know when God is calling you to a mission and that is key with our position and discipline. May we all be able to know when to move on to the next mission that our Lord bestows upon us. You have a beautiful spirit and it is in your eyes that light and draw you towards your path. I will miss you and your words of wisdom. May you continue to be blessed in all you do. Dios te Bendiga Siempre.
    Nilsa Olivero

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you for your kind words, Nilsa. My life has been all the richer because of knowing all of you!

Jeffrey

14. Jeffrey:
    Here’s a definition that describes your work at Drew: “Compassionate Interpretation”. You have a gift for listening and acting upon hearing, bringing the best of what was meant and all that is possible into the conversation.

May there be future conversation/conversions for us all.

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Bill! I will take “Compassionate Interpretation” with me to Claremont.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

15. Beth Caulfield says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

I especially thank you for your efforts at bolstering support for MDIV students and UMC students called into ordained ministry. I have noted and remarked on many occasions your leadership in energizing focus in these areas and the difference it has made. My prayer for you is that you continue to follow the lead of the Holy Spirit in our own leadership. My prayer for Drew is that it continue down the path you have begun to clear for developing future leaders like you.

In Christ’s Love,

Beth

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Beth! I appreciate your kind words and will covet your continuing prayers.

Blssings,
      Jeffrey

16. Althea Spencer Miller says:

Dear Jeffrey,
    You came to Drew in a time of incredible challenges and that became the hallmark of your time here. In so many ways you rose to every occasion and gave to us the very best that you had to give of your heart, your physical strength, and your spiritual maturity. Thank you. I will always remember the force of your conviction that Drew should be a safe place for GLBTQIQ students and faculty and the ways in which you committed to action to make that vision real. You cared for us in grief and pain, through natural disasters, and on the job challenges with unflagging zeal and apparently boundless energy.

Now that you are leaving, despite the accolades and multifaceted statements of appreciation, I have one outstanding question. It is this:

“Do you sleep?”

In the Jamaican way of partings, I say,

“Walk good!”

Althea

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Althea:

Thank you for your kind words and your blessings. I am honored to have joined all of you in this journey and facing the challenges together. I will continue to work with and support the LGBTQI community everywhere I go. I will remember to get some sleep so that I can “walk good”!

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

17. Dear Jeffrey,

I do not know how I can express my heart toward you. Thank you for everything you give to us. I deeply appreciate your tenderness and consideration, offering me lots of opportunities at Drew. I do want to say “see you again,” rather than saying good bye. I will pray for your ongoing vocation and calling. Be blessed on now and forever.

Peace and Love,

Nam Joong Kim

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you so much for your kind words, Nam Joong! It has been a blessing to be able to support students like you. You will do well and be a blessing to students anywhere you end up at.

Jeffrey

18. Ginny Samuel says:

Dear Jeffrey,
    When I first met you I was impressed by the depths of your commitment to ministry; to theological education; to the inclusion of all of the people of God in the work of the academy and of the church;and to your ability to think and dream globally. Since working with you these past few years, I have an even greater sense of how very woven into the fiber of your being all of these things are.

You have left Drew Theological School better than you found us. You have left me better than you found me. I have learned so much from you about what it means to be a leader and a pastor. I am profoundly grateful for our time together in this portion of God’s vineyard.

I look forward to our paths continuing to cross and am so glad you are a part of my life. I pray God’s richest blessings to you and your family as you continue in service as President of Claremont School of Theology.

With love and gratitude to your faithfulness to God’s claim upon your life,

Ginny

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Ginny:

It was a blessing to have you worked so closely with me. Over the last 2 1/2 years you became a confidante and friend. I could not have done my work without you. Thank you very much.

Jeffrey

19. Suzanne Wenonah Duchesne says:

Dear Jeffrey,
    I have mixed emotions when I recall a late night in Tampa in a room with strewn wall to wall with Drewids and MoravianMethodists. We were tired, elated, hopeful and finally we were challenged by our Lenape student who after the Act of Repentance called us all on our self care practices. I will miss you terribly and the way you always ask how I am doing with great care and sincerity. I will miss our late night facebook check-ins and our hugs in the hall. I am more than bit jealous of the students and colleagues waiting for you at Claremont but I am also so very happy because I think this will raise that personal self care number in ways that can only enhance your calling to Theological Education and The United Methodist Church. You have encouraged me and supported me academically, professionally, and personally and for that I am forever thankful. You modeled for me – and all of us – time and again that Micah’s call for justice is only truly just alongside hesed. God’s many blessings as you begin this next step in your journey. May you always keep a special place in your heart for the forest – just as we will hold you in ours. Suzanne

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Suzanne:

It has been a privilege to know you and share with you our passion for the church and our love for The United Methodist Church, flawed and inadequate as it continues to be. As we labored together for our denomination, I know our paths will cross again.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

20. Carol Bloom says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

Drew is a better place for the leadership and care you brought. It is an honor to have studied at Drew under your leadership. I know that you leave a lasting imprint.

It is often difficult to follow God’s call and I assume this was not an easy decision for you. May God bless you richly on the next part of your journey just as you have blessed the Drew community.

Grace and Peace,

Carol

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Carol! Getting to know all of you students has been a highlight of my time at Drew.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

21. Shadi Halabi says:

Professor Kuan,

Thanks for everything. I’ve only just begun to get to know you in class, but it’s been really wonderful having you here. You’ve made me feel welcome at Drew since before I even agreed to attend.

You will be missed,
    Shadi

22. Fred Sullivan says:

I am a bit saddened to see you go, but excited at the opportunity for another challenge for you.

Best wishes for you and your family until we see each other again.

FLS

23. Len Sweet says:

Jeffrey:

Everything and everyone you touched since you’ve been at Drew you made better. I’m grateful and blessed to have been touched by you and your creativity and dedication and diligence.

Still in One Peace,

len

24. Traci West says:

Jeffrey,
    I want to add my words of gratitude and congratulations to you on your new position. We owe you deep gratitude for the enormous challenges that you took on here at Drew such as responding to the Seminary hall fire, super storm Sandy, budgetary constraints, University Presidential leadership transitions, and others.

Nevertheless you gave your support to exciting initiatives here. You enabled us to maintain very close connections with our United Methodist Church and you did this in manner that celebrated the unique contributions that we make to it.

I would also like to express sincere appreciation for the deep personal sacrifices that you made to be here with us on the east coast.

One moment that I would single-out as an example of your leadership gifts and when I felt especially proud of “my Dean” was when we were inside the men’s prison at one of the graduation ceremonies. With your characteristic heartfelt enthusiasm, you emphatically reminded the prisoners in the PREP program “you are my students, my Drew students”. It expressed the radical inclusion and dignity of each prisoner that the PREP program strives to embody.

In short, I want to offer a big, big thanks for the leadership gifts that you have shared with us, my good wishes and my prayers for God’s continued blessing upon and safekeeping throughout each step of your journey ahead.

Traci

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you for you kind words, Traci! It has been an honor to have worked with you.

Drew has shaped me in the last 2 1/2 years and I will be talking about the PREP program for a long time to come.

Jeffrey

25. Jieun Kim says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

Thank your leadership, love and caring for us.
    It is hard to express my feeling.
    For Malaysia cross-cultural trip is blessing for me.
    I bless you a lot.

Thank you so much,
    Jieun

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Jieun! I am proud to have been your Dean and I know that you will continue to excel in your studies at Drew!

Jeffrey

26. Koutouan says:

Dean Kuan,

As you continue your leadership to transform the world, I wish you all the best.

Best regards

27. Betty Edwards says:

Dean Kuan,
    Thank you for all that you have taught us and given us – just by being who you are, by pouring yourself into us as a community, as your community. I am better because of you, we are better because of you. May God richly bless you as you share yourself and your gifts at Claremont. I look forward to that point in the future when our paths may cross again.
    Blessings,

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Betty! The Drew community has shaped me in the last 2 1/2 years and I am grateful for the opportunity to get to know so many of you.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

28. Lana Antar says:

Dear Jeffrey,

As many have said, it is bittersweet to have you leave our midst, but the better to have known you. However, having been one who has been called by the Spirit many times, and has followed that call, I trust in a greater “trip plan scheduler” for such things as this. I believe that all necessary Divine appointments were met during you time here, and, like all of us, new “divine appointments” await. How exciting; life is a wonderful journey, and I celebrate yours. I know our paths will cross again, and that our spirits will remain united in Christ.
    With Much Love and Blessing, Lana Antar

29. Nancy VanderVeen says:

Dear Jeffrey -

One of the first times I heard you speak in chapel, you spoke of Hesed, a powerful word in the Hebrew Bible. We try to capture its meaning in English with words such as kindness, loving-kindness, loyalty, and mercy. Yet words fall short, since it is actually something people DO for other people. Thank you, thank you for embodying and exemplifying its meaning to our community during your time with us. Your servant-leadership and hospitality, your compassion and advocacy for all people, and your global vision for theological education demonstrated how much better we can be individually and collectively. I am personally grateful for your ongoing support for Lifelong Learning, and for paving the way for expanded efforts in Alumni Relations and Advancement. We will work hard to carry on the great work you initiated within the Theological School. May God’s richest blessings be with you at Claremont, as you follow your call there. You came in like a whirlwind, and are leaving with the locusts, but I look forward to crossing paths with you again and again. All the best. In Christ, Nancy V.

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Nancy:

It has been a joy to work alongside you as you provide leadership for Lifelong Learning. I am glad that Drew recognized your gifts and invited you to do this work. Your expanded work now will make Drew even better!

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

30. Dear Dean Kuan,
    Congratulations on your new appointment! You have made us all proud. I just wish you all the best for the future success. May God be with you. Nadine Ilunga.

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Nadine! I know you will continue to do well in your studies at Drew!

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

31. Tae Hoon Lee says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

It has been great moment for me since you were our dean. Since I’ve been grown in Confucian culture, it was hard for me to talk to a dean personally and friendly. But you made me talk to you easily. You broke the boundary and were very good to me. I’ll remember all your doings that you have done for us. I wish you all the best for your future. God will bless your new journey.

Many blessings,

Tae Hoon Lee

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Tae Hoon:

It was a delight to get to know you. Thank you for helping send me to the airport and pick me up when I needed your help. In the rides to and from the airport, I have gotten to know you better. I am proud to be your dean and see in you the commitment to ministry. I know you will continue to do well as you work on your MA degree.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

32. Stewart Robinette says:

Dean Kuan,
    I was fortunate to hear of many of the good works from students, faculty, and staff that you had touched when I arrived at Drew. I was more fortunate to have been able to work and speak with you during my time here at Drew. You have done amazing work for the Church and for the University, and I have no doubt that your service will continue to grow in magnitude in your next endeavor.
    Thank you,
    Stewart

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Stewart:

Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure to work with you. You have brought a strong sense of professionalism to your role as Director of Residence Life and Community Standards. I will miss working with you.

Best wishes,
      Jeffrey

33. Fernando Linhares says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

On a personal level, thank you for enabling my 2013 engagement with the Hispanic Theological Initiative. On a communal level, thank you for contributing to Drew’s engaging, collegial and diverse academic environment.

All the best!

34. Sejin Cha says:

Dear our dean!

I just wanted to say thank you for everything you gave us. Your tender, kind, and warm leadership touched not only all international students but also all Drewids. I will keep praying for you and your family, and your next journey at Claremont. Be blessed in the Lord.

Blessings,
    Sejin Cha

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Sejin! It has been a blessing being your Dean. I appreciate your prayers as I continue my journey at Claremont.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

35. Erica Ramirez says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

Thank you for your kind-hearted and engaged leadership at Drew over the course of our shared time here. Your presence and effort during Sandy were so needed and remain appreciated, your vision for a more global school (both in curriculum and connections) was inspired and inspiring. We students have been singing your praises for a while! I am happy you have this opportunity before you and wish you well in your next venture.

peace,
    Erica

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Erica! I appreciate having the opportunity to lead the Theological School at such times as these. Our community was tested but we grew stronger. I know that the Drew community will remain strong.

Best wishes,
      Jeffrey

36. YoochangJung says:

Dear Dear Kuan

It was my great honor to have you as our Dean.
    I am really proud of you and thank you for your leadership.
    You did a lot of things for Drew theological school and all Drewids.
    I will have you in my prayer. God will bless you.

Peace and blessings,

Yoochang

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you for your kind words, Yoochang. It was an honor and a blessing to be your Dean. My best wishes to you in your studies and ministry.

Jeffrey

37. Dong Sung Kim says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

It was, and still is, so much blessing to have you as a teacher in my academic journey.

All the Hebrew reading sessions and the graduate seminars that you kindly offered for graduate students- in the midst of all the busy works you had to do as Dean- have helped me and my classmates greatly. Your restless passion and energy always motivate us.

I believe that what you will continue to do in Claremont will also continue to inspire not only the students in the West coast but also us here.

Thank you.
    Dong Sung
    GDR, Biblical Studies

• Barbara Brown says:

Dear Dean Kuan, I’ve been wondering what would be appropriate for this moment. What do I say to you? We did not meet or sit down for conversation, but I’m a watchful type. I watched as you were welcomed to the Drew community. I watched you in the halls. I watched you leaving or entering the Administration office, but I realize I saw more when I watched your eyes. Your mouth was very still, but you eyes…….they make quick assessments and they always speak with a smile. I’ll miss you dashing through the hallways smiling generously as you passed and I pray your journey now leads you to places of wonder, peace and love as you exemplify the purpose of your calling.
      In Christ, I am, barBara Brown, St. Luke BC

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you for these very kind words, Barbara! Being at Drew for this short time has been a blessing in my life and ministry.

Best,
        Jeffrey

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Dong Sung:

What an honor it has been to have worked with students of your caliber! Thank you for your kind words and I know that you will continue to excel in your doctoral studies at Drew.
      Blessings to you and your family!

Jeffrey

38. Hyunte Shin says:

Thank for your devotion for all international students.
    Especially, I remember your self-sacrifice in an incident that the electricity went out in Madison city (also Drew University)in 2012 fall semester. At that time, you provided us the place where international students can remain for few days and food. Even you stayed with us until the problem is resolved.
    I appreciate your devotion again.
    I am sure God will bless everything you do.

Peace in God.
    Hyunte Shin

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Hyunte! I will cherish these memories of going through challenges and disasters with all of you in the Drew community forever.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

39. Yoomi Yi says:

Dear Dean Kuan,
    Although it was a very short time for me at Drew, I always appreciated you when you called my name and acknowledged my presence. Thank you for the opportunity for me to observe and learn from your leadership. As you might have done so many good-byes with graduates here, now it is our turn to say good-bye and bless you as you move onward.
    May God bless you and your family on your journey.

-Yoomi Yi

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you for blessing me on my journey, Yoomi! I know you will continue to do well in your studies at Drew and be blessed by the education you will receive here.

Jeffrey

40. Chris Jorgensen says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

Thank you for all of your contributions to Drew University. You are the embodiment of compassion, vision, and competence, and I consider myself blessed to have witnessed and learned from your leadership.

May your new endeavors at Claremont be life-giving for you and for each person you encounter!

With warmest regards,
    Chris Jorgensen

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Chris:

Thank you for these kinds words. My ministry at Drew has been rich and a blessing in my life because of students like you.

Best wishes,
      Jeffrey

41. Elizabeth Freese says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

Several moments stand out in my mind, in which you were startling present for us as students. One was the phone call I got as I was deliberating coming to Drew – I remember shushing the kids “Quiet, it’s the Dean!” The other two were during various natural disasters. You came to the doors of Theo residents to make sure they were ok staying in the cold, and you cooked in a darkened kitchen for us as Sandy evacuees. The attention in all cases was notable and appreciated!

I am also grateful for the additional support you have garnered for the GDR and for your efforts to help organize various aspects of the Theo School.

All best with your work at Claremont,

Elizabeth

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Elizabeth:

I deeply appreciate your taking the time to write a note. At the very center of what I am most passionate about is students. I love recruiting and talking to prospective students in all degree programs. I am glad that you and your family are here at Drew. My best wishes to you as you continue your doctoral studies here and I know that Drew is fortunate to have you here.

All the best,
      Jeffrey

42. michelle campbell says:

Dear Jeffrey, Many thanks for the unprecedented care and concern you demonstrated towards the staff. My best wishes to you as you rejoin family in your beloved CA and assume the helm at Claremont.

Fondly,

Michelle

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Michelle! It has been great working with you in the Dean’s suite and getting to know you for the last 2 1/2 years. You are a real asset to the school.

Best wishes,
      Jeffrey

43. Junehee Yoon says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

Even after all the practice of letting go meditation during last year at Drew, I don’t think I will ever accustomed to saying goodbye to people I do not want to let go. Perhaps, one thing I can do is to learn healthy detachment while keeping the precious memories about you in my mind FOREVER!

Dean Kuan, you have been always OUR DEAN and you will be proudly OUR DEAN in our minds continuously. May your response to God’s calling allow you to spread God’s care and wisdom to many more people in the new place.

All the Blessings,
    Junehee

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you for your kind words, Junehee! It has been an honor and a blessing to be your Dean! My blessings and best wishes as you continue your doctoral studies at Drew!

Jeffrey

44. Joe Samalenge says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

It is so hard to say goodbye to someone who has done tremendous work for both community and individuals during such a short period of time. Talking about individuals, i might not be grateful enough as I thank you from the depth of my heart for getting me in to UMCOR of the supervised ministry internship. that internship did not only broaden my vision and understanding of ministry, but also challenged me to take ministry even more seriously.

I know you did more than just getting at UMCOR; you encouraged and challenged me (as I learned from you) to do both prophetic ministry and leadership.

I am so proud of you and I know you will represent Christ in a prophetic way; please know that a community is going to miss you and if a few people will carry your prophetic ministry and leadership I will be among them.

Blessings,

I love you dean Kuan

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Joe:

Thank you so much your words of gratitude. You stood out as a student leader at Drew and I am glad to have facilitated your internship with UMCOR. I know that you will continue to do excellent ministry and will emerge as a significant leader for The United Methodist Church.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

45. Linda Wiggins-Edwards says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

I just want to say good luck to you on your future endeavors. Thank you for your leadership at Drew and for helping to make Drew a wonderful community, not just a school. May God continue to bless you and your family!!

We’ll miss you,
    Linda Wiggins-Edwards

46. Tejai Beulah says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

Grace and peace to you and your family as you embark upon a new journey.

Blessings,

Tejai Beulah

47. Deb Belusa says:

To Dean Kuan (Jeffrey) – Best wishes as you move onto your next call at Claremont. Thank you (and thanks to your family) for the sacrifices made in order for you to be at Drew. Blessings as you return to beautiful California!

48. Amy Sandlin says:

Dean Kuan: I really hate good byes!! Therefore, I will say until we meet again, may God be with you. You really made the transition back to school from the work and family world easier. I wish you continued success in your new position in California. Claremont sure got a sweet deal when you said yes and you will be missed here in New Jersey!!! Peace, Amy Sandlin

49. Kakez-A-Kapend, Christian says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

Please, accept my heartiest congratulations on your new appointment. May Yahweh-Yireh keep and preserve you as you continue to answer your call.

50. Joanna Chenoweth says:

Dean Kuan,

Thank you for your leadership at Drew. The time you spent with the Job class reading and translating the Hebrew, exploring nuances of the text were and will remain much appreciated. Best wishes as you assume your new position at Claremont.

Peace,
    Joanna

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Joanna! May you continue to be blessed in your studies at Drew. If there is anything I can help you with, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

51. Young Je Kim says:

I express huge gratitue for your contributiona for Drew Theological School, especially for your consideration for international students and their families. You always have been with students and listened to them. I think that all faculty and students will talk about many things that you’ve done at Drew for a long time. And I’m sure that you’ll make another great history at Claremont. God bless you!!!

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Young Je! I am so glad that you are at Drew. I know you will continue to do well in your studies here!

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

52. Tricia Brown says:

In the time that I got to know you, you always gave me a bright smile, words of encouragement and a feeling of peace. You always seemed to carry and exude a sense of grace that few attain in your position. When I heard you speak for the first time, your words spoke volumes and I walked away thinking I could listen to you preach often. You will be missed and my life has been the better just by getting to know you even briefly.
    Good luck at Claremont and my God bless you and your family.

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Tricia:

It has been a delight and joy to have known you. It is people like you that make Drew a special place. May you continue to be blessed as you bless others in their lives.

Jeffrey

53. Chick Straut says:

It may be trite, but in this case it is true, “Drew’s loss is Claremont’s grain”. Nevertheless, there is a “win-win” aspect to this, as well, since you will have now been the CEO of both seminaries, it will bring two high quality schools even closer together in mission and commitment. Thanks for all you have done for us and may God’s grace continue to bless those you will now serve.

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Chick:

It was my honor to have known such a dedicated alumnus as yourself. One of the ways you have left a deep impression on me is how you wear your clergy collar with pride and honor. You have continued to be engaged in ministry through the years.

I will forever carry the marks of Drew in me.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

54. Boram Lim says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

I would not be able to say ‘thank you’ enough for everything you have taught and given us and for every positive changes you have made in this community. I have really appreciated your compassionate leadership and your willingness to support and be with students in the midst of all kinds of situations. Especially, Your presence with us during Sandy meant really a lot. I am also grateful for your passion, consideration, and care that have made Drew theo school a better place.

Thank you again for being such a great inspiration for us for ministry and leadership. You have been and will be the best dean ever in our hearts always!

I wish you all the best as you are going to start your new journey at Claremont. I pray that you may touch many people’s lives and inspire them as you have done at Drew, and more. Although it feels still hard to say good-bye to you, I am also excited to see you doing amazing things in the West Cost and will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Many blessings,
    Boram

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Boram:

I am proud to be your Dean. Thank you so much for your kind words and best wishes. Getting to know so many of you well is one of the highlights of my short time at Drew. I will forever cherish the memories of Sandy and the cross-cultural trip to Malaysia. The time we shared and the conversations we had when you got hurt were special moments.

Thank you for the leadership of the Korean Caucus. You will continue to excel in your studies and leadership roles. Thank you again for the beautiful artwork on “hesed”! It will go into my new office too.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

55. Jimmy Hoke says:

Dean Kuan,

Many thanks for everything you have done for the Drew community as our dean. Our early morning Hebrew reading group was one of the highlights of my first semester. Best of luck at Claremont; we will miss you!

-Jimmy

56. Emery says:

Dear Jeffery,
    Congratulations on your new elevation. God Bless you. Thank you for all that you have done for the Theo School at Drew during your tenure. I am one of the most grateful students of all as I was so humbled the year I received my kidney transplant when my studies were in crisis and you and your office through the power and compassion of Zgod save me and I was able to graduate. You moreover to me on as an employee so that I may finishe and earn my degree (the hard way:-)))
    I could not have graduated with a doctorate degree from Drew University if it weren’t for you. I am fire ever in debtrf. God bless you.
    Thank you
    Emery

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Emery! I have learned to “pay if forward” a long time ago when others did things for me that helped me to be where I am today. Blessings to you as you continue to be a minister of Jesus Christ for the world.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

57. Emery says:

Corrections not “Zgod” but God.
    Not “to” but took me in.
    Blessings

58. Rochelle McSam says:

Dean Kuan,

I must admit, I am very disappointed that you are leaving before I’ve had the chance to get to know you but I understand the demands of your calling. Thus I will simple wish you the best in your endeavors. May love and light surround and shine through you continually.

- Rochelle

59. Eliezer Valentin-Castanon says:

Jeffrey: Just wanted to say how sorry I am to see you leave Drew. I think that having you at Drew has been a great blessing to the institution and the community (specially for Latinos).

On the other hand, congratulations on your new appointment. I look forward to hear about the new and exciting things you will be doing in Claremont. As you know we are all expecting great things from you.

Blessings on you my brother,

Eliezer

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Eliezer! I will need your help as I tend to strengthening Claremont’s relation with the Latino/a community.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

60. Catherine Keller says:

Jeffrey.
    As an alumna of Claremont, my reactions to this unexpected change have almost cancelled each other out: regret that the fit with us did not hold your commitment; and gladness for Claremont’s future with you. Almost! I do still feel. For instance, I am grateful for your indelible contributions to our Asian interface–in the dramatic form of the Interreligious Interactivity conference, or in the inconspicuous form of making sure students arriving from other continents get picked up at the airport. And commensurate with gratitude is the loss. But Drew and Claremont have profound affinities, and I imagine that your presidency will only heighten those resonances and develop those solidarities.
    In honor of that Process–I wish you and your new community great satisfaction.
    Catherine Keller

61. Chang Hwan Kim says:

Dean Kuan,

I would like to express my deep gratitude for your presence and all the works done in this community. I am lucky to have you as a dean for two years but maybe not lucky enough to have you for three whole years of my course.
    As long as you are moving by following the call, I wish you to answer the call wonderfully and to make God rejoice.

Grace and Peace be with you.

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Chang Hwan:

I appreciate the opportunity to be your Dean, even if only for two years. I remember fondly the first time I met you at Seshin Methodist Church in Korea. I heard much about your from others and I knew that you would excel at Drew. I am glad that you have become a leader within the Drew community. Blessings to you as you continue to excel in your studies at Drew!

Jeffrey

62. Edna Runnels Ranck says:

Dean Kuan: I wish you wonderful successes at Claremont and thank you for your contributions to Drew. I came to Drew as a TS student in 1965 and “lived” through at least six deans (Ranson, Ault, Kirby, Givens, Ogletree, Sweet (?) & Beach) and several acting deans. It is indeed a special place; I am glad you had a block of time there and will carry on your dedicated work at Claremont. Joyfully, Edna

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Edna. It was a delight to have met you in Washington, D.C. That was the same trip that I also met with the late Bob Edgar. Drew is fortunate to have dedicated alumni/ae like yourself.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

63. Mark Miller says:

Jeffrey!

I’ll never forget the first time I saw you in action- we hadn’t met but we were involved in the same legislative committee at GC in 2000- I was affirmed and encouraged by your words and actions that the UM church is OUR church and we’re not willing to give it up!

Thank you for your leadership at Drew and helping us be a closer community between faculty and staff. We will miss you but I look forward to the next time we get to work together for the church we love.
    peace and blessings on you and your family and your work at Claremont!
    mark

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Mark! Our first meeting in GC was 2004. It was an honor when I came to Drew to be “Mark Miller’s Dean”!

I know our paths will cross again in our denominational work together.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

64. Jisun Kwak says:

Jeffrey,

I appreciated everything of you as the dean and friend, especially your genuineness. You will be missed very much…
    I am sending much blessings on your way with prayers.

Peace be with you wherever you would be!

Jisun

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Jisun, it has been such a delight to have known you and I was looking forward to working with you closely. Even though that will no longer be possible in New Jersey, I look forward to other opportunities to work with you within our United Methodist world.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

65. Rev. Martin Deppe says:

Dean Kuan:
    Your generous spirit, creative vision for theological education at Drew and unstinting support for my work with the TS’61 & TS’62 class gift have touched me greatly in the months of our acquaintance and joint effort. I am happy for you in this new challenge at Claremont. Now we at Drew are challenged to find a worthy successor. Thank you so much.
    Martin Deppe, Chicago, IL

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words, Martin! It was an honor for me to have met alumni like yourself. I know that God will prepare a more worthy and capable leader for Drew.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

66. Kathleen Kerin says:

Dear Dean Kuan,
    I have come to discover that there are many roads on the journey through Seminary. One of the roads I was thrilled to travel was the one upon which I had the opportunity to get to know you in the places you grew up and began your own journey to the wonderful, warm, kind, and brilliant gift of the person you have become.

I began to truly see you as I shared with you each day, traveling in and around Malaysia and Hong Kong. What I saw was a person who not only took care of the physical pains and hurts of others, but also one who took the time to care for the inner spirit of others. I watched you in action. You set the tone for those around you. The bar was high and there is work to be done……so you rolled up your sleeves and joined in. Building a community. Creating an environment of care. You have done it for us; now go and bless the community to which you have been called; and take with you the love of THIS grateful community.

I will miss you Dean Kuan. Thank you for sharing yourself with us.

Kathleen Kerin
    I’m thinking….Malaysia in 2015?

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Kathleen:

What can I say? You have become one of those many special students that I will forever remember. That Malaysia cross-cultural trip was special because of all of you.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

67. Dear Dean Kuan,

I will always be grateful that you were my Dean but I am even more grateful that you are my friend. I think the best picture that I ever posted on my blog was under the heading JOY and it is a When I look at the background of some of my favorite Professors and see that they are from Claremont, I worry oh will they run off to sunny California as well? But then I remember that not all of them have adorable little granddaughters on the West coast like you do, and I am relieved (a little).

You will be missed more than you can imagine, but without change there is not growth and if anyone in the United Methodist Church represents growth more than you do I have not met them yet. So it is with an expectant heart that I say, not goodbye, but good work and good blessings, because I know that you are following the call of the One we call Most Holy and I know that the work that has been begun by you will continue.

God Bless You !

Christine J Smith (MDiv 2016)
    http://beliefandbeyond.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/dean-kuan/

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Christine:

What a joy it had been for me to have met students like you who are passionate for the church, but more importantly are working to make the church better. May you continue to be blessed in your studies at Drew!

Jeffrey

68. Pauline Wardell-Sankoh says:

Dean Kuan you made a tremendous impact on not just Drew but all who got to know you. You will be sorely missed. I will especially miss the way you walked among us, simply as a servant, with no pretensions. God bless you and your family. Claremont is getting the best. Thank you for your time with us.
    Pauline Wardell-Sankoh

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Pauline! I will always remember being at your last church and the lunch and conversation we shared there. Thank you for your dedication to Drew and for stepping up to serve on the Board of Trustees.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

69. Annie Allen says:

Dear Jeffrey,
    I thank you for the grace and affirmation you showed to Administrative Staff during your tenure here at Drew. Bringing the voices of non-teaching staff, widened discussion and included everyone in serving our students. It was a special Blessing for me to have you lay on hands during my Ordination. God’s Shalom to you.
    Annie.

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Annie:

Drew is fortunate to have alumnae and staff like you. My best wishes and blessings to you as you serve Turning Point UMC and to work with them to revitalize the Trenton community. I am delighted that you are beginning your journey to become a United Methodist clergy.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

70. Melanie Johnson-DeBaufre says:

Dear Jeffrey

It seems like yesterday that our families ate Turkish food together and talked about the adventure to come. And now you are on to a new adventure! I am very grateful for your work at Drew. I am proud to have worked alongside you to improve faculty and staff collaboration. Your commitment to theological education that is fostered in communities of accountability, engaged with social realities, and interconnected globally has drawn us forward into new possibilities and deepened our common life. Your energy, enthusiasm, and care has been infectious and crucial. Boram’s image of you as the caped Super Dean, caring for the students during Hurricane Sandy will stay in my mind when I think of you! Personally, I have valued our common love of archaeology, cross-cultural travel and learning, and just generally dreaming big. All blessings to you, Jeffrey. I know that new adventures and big dreams await you, and I look forward to hearing about them!
    Melanie

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Melanie:

One of the highlights of my short time at Drew is to have worked with faculty like yourself who is able to see the bigger picture of where theological education needs to move. Thank you for the the support you gave me to enable me to lead the Theo School.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

71. Gerard Jameson says:

Dean Kuan, what an amazing ministry you have blessed this school with. While it is unfortunate for us that you will be leaving, I am so glad that you have an opportunity to grow in your service, and that a new group of academicians and emerging servant leaders will have the benefit of your wisdom and your spirit. On a personal note, I have appreciated so much the care and interest you have shown me. I have truly grown to respect you, and wish the best for you. I will continue to pray for you as you transition, for your success at Claremont, for your family, and for each person who will grow under your leadership. May God bless and keep you.

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Gerard! Working with students like yourself have been richly gratifying. I know that you will continue to contribute much to the ecumenical world. Blessings to you as you go to the Bossey Ecumenical Institute.

Jeffrey

72. Anne Yardley says:

Jeffrey,
    I wish you all the best as you move on to Claremont. I love the energy, excitement and pastoral concerns you have brought to Drew and know that Claremont will be blessed.
    I look forward to meeting up with you in Berkeley when we’re out visiting family!

May God’s grace be with you as you follow this new call.
    Anne

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Anne. It was a pleasure to have worked with you during the first 6 months of my time at Drew!

I too look forward to catching up with you in Berkeley when we are there for grandparenting time.

Jeffrey

73. David Evans says:

Dear Jeffrey,

As the first Dean I worked for, I am grateful for your support and leadership. I appreciated your encouragement and direction.

As you move forward in your next position I trust that your new faculty will benefit from the many gifts that you bring.

Warm regards,
    David

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, David! It was an honor to be your first Dean! I am confident that you will contribute much to the academy and the church.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

74. Sungchun Ahn says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

Thank you so much for your deanship!
    It was my honor to have you as a my photo model.
    You were a great model(Photo and life).

I am praying that all is well in Califonia!
    May God bless you!

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Sungchun! It was a blessing to have known you! You will be successful in your ministry.

Jeffrey

75. Betty Gannon says:

Dean Kuan,

From earthquakes, snow storms, fires, hurricanes and a theological school camp out/retreat at Chatham UMC it’s been a trip! (I don’t think you will get snowed out in CA like you did here but who knows!) But it is hard to think of a better person to manage these crises and to be there to support me in my time of personal disaster. My life has been enriched and made far more interesting by “The Disaster Dean!”

You will always be my disaster dean.
    au revoir(until we meet again)

Betty

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

I appreciate your note very much, Betty! It was a blessing to be there for you and others in moments of crisis. You are a very gifted person and I know that you will use your gifts to bless others.

Jeffrey

76. Richard Yoo says:

Dean Kuan,

Thank you for your leadership and heart for Drew and the Church. I wish you many blessings at Claremont as you have blessed us with your presence here at Drew. I remember not only the leadership you displayed, but also the good humor and inspiring messages in chapel. Thanks for also allowing us to throw shaving cream pies at you! :D

Best,
    Rich

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Rich:

Thank you for your kind words. We can all build community together at Drew! I am glad to have known you!

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

77. Richenda says:

See you in the West! And since you will be in So Cal, I’ll assume you will purchase a powder blue convertible and invest in ripped jeans. Have to offer a thumbs up for both. And remember what Jesus said about sandals, they’re optional. God’s peace be upon you!

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Richenda! I may see you up in the Pacific Northwest one of these years!

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

78. Lynne Darden says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

I graduated from the GDR in New Testament/EC the year you came to Drew and so we do not know each other very well. But, I must tell you how completely overjoyed I am to have your signature on my diploma.

You came to Drew as a calling to fulfill a need, leaving some of your family back home in Cali, as I remember. Thank you for coming! And, now it is time to return to beloved family (and state) after a job well done!

All the best to you in your new position. See you at the annual conferences.

Lynne Darden

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Lynne:

Thank you for taking the time to write. I will be following your teaching career and ministry closely.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

79. Kia Saunders says:

What a pleasure to have the opportunity to know you! Thank you for your time and presence here at Drew. I pray that God will continue to bless you in your new endeavours and the your new community will cherish your anointing, wisdom, and heart that you will bring to them as you have brought to us!

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Kia! It was a blessing to have known you as well. All the very best to you in your ministry!

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

80. EunHye Park says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

I remember you as a great leader.
    When I first saw you in Korea with MTU student, you looked a professional dean because you visited a long distance country to meet people for Drew University. Also you took time out of your busy schedule to meet the prospective students.
    Also I was deeply impressed by your warm heart when I met you in Chatham UMC during the storm Sandy. You looked seeking the integration of the student beyond professor and student, you could stay at your home, but you stayed with student who met with a calamity. You also helped the students and their families with whole heart.

Thank you for showing what is the great leadership.
    Thanks to your love and protection, Drew student specially international student led happy lives.

God be with you always!

Sincerely,

EunHye Park

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear EunHye:

I was very delighted when I finally saw you at Drew! I know the challenges international students like yourself had to go through to get to Drew. May you continue to be blessed in your studies at Drew.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

81. 關懷無限
    嘉善無盡
    仁愛無比

誠題於關院長嘉仁博士
    離開德魯神學院前夕
    主後二零一三年六月二十六日
    賴文玲敬筆

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Wen-Ling:

Thank you so much for these beautiful words you penned for me. Now, I have even more to live up to my name! Blessings to you as you continue your studies at Drew.

Jeffrey

82. Yu Ping Shu says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

I don’t know what to say but just a heartfelt gratitude for everything that you had done for me in school and out of school. Thank you for an awesome Cross Cultural trip to Malaysia and I pray that God continue to use you for His glory. You will be missed. Thank you.

Blessings,

Ping

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Yu Ping:

It has been great to have know you, a fellow Chinese Southeast Asian. My best wishes and blessings to you as your continue you studies at Drew toward ordained ministry in the UMC.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

83. Hyo-Dong Lee says:

Dear Jeffrey,

The last three short years feel long — you have provided us the needed leadership through particularly trying times, with multiple crises that you certainly did not ask for: the rapid financial erosion, the transition in the university administration, the string of “acts of God” (Irene, the October snowstorm, Sandy, to name just a few), and the death of beloved members of our community. Let me add words of gratitude particularly on behalf of the Korean students who remember you as someone who genuinely cared. While enacting your pastoral and managerial ability to the fullest, you have at the same time offered us an inspiring vision of global theological education – a vision vital to our future flourishing. I also thank you for the personal sacrifices you made with your family back on the West Coast. I will always feel honored to have taken part in bringing the first Asian-American dean of a United Methodist seminary to Drew.

Congratulations on your next ministry. May your vision and leadership blossom and bear much fruit at Claremont.

Hyo-Dong

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Hyo-Dong:

Thank you so much for your gracious words. I appreciate the work you did to bring me to Drew. I have enjoyed working with many of you at Drew. I know that Drew will continue to thrive with the faculty and staff you have.

Best wishes,
      Jeffrey

84. Joe Monahan T'03 says:

Dear Jeffrey –

I have appreciated the new directions and new vision which you have offered to Drew Theological School. You have been a great advocate for alumni and the Church. We miss you, and we send you forth with our blessing for everything good as you move on to Claremont. I am blessed in knowing you.

Peace, Joe

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Joe:

Thank you so much for you kind words. It has been a delight getting to know you and other Drew alumni/ae. One of the best parts of my job as Dean was to get to know alumni/ae and churches. The alumni/ae are our product and the churches are a major part of the reason we do theological education.

Blessings to you in your own transition!

Jeffrey

85. Clayton Z. Miller says:

Dear Dean Kuan,
    Thank you for all you have done for Drew.
    I want to say a special thank you for the way in which you reached out to me. I have felt much appreciated by you personally. I am sorry we will not have your leadership longer, but I know the move back to CA. will be a blessing to you and to Claremont. I will miss you.
    With much appreciation,
    Clayton

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Clayton:

What an honor it has been for me to have know alumni such as yourself. Thank you for your passion and commitment to your alma mater. Alumni like yourself make the school strong.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

86. Mary Bielen says:

Dean Kuan,

I have really appreciated your strong interactive presence as Dean–your preaching, teaching, providing leadership for student cross-cultural experiences, welcoming so warmly our many guests at Drew and your sensitive pastoral approach to the challenges we have faced in the last few years at the Theological School. You will be missed. Best wishes to you in your call to Claremont.

Blessings,
    Mary Bielen

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Mary:

I appreciate your gracious words. It has been an honor to have served as the Dean of Drew Theological School and to have known many of you students. I will always carry a part if Drew with me wherever I go in my ministry.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

87. An Yountae says:

Dear Jeffrey

As everyone else here at Drew, I’m dealing with the mixed feelings of excitement and loss at the same time. I’m deeply grateful for the leadership, commitment, passion, and the loving-caring spirit you showed the Drew community these past years. I’m certainly going to miss your presence here at Drew, but I’m also excited and hopeful for your new journey with our friends in the West coast.

Congratulations and all my best wishes in your new ministry.

Yountae

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Yountae:

It has been good to have reconnected with you at Drew. I appreciate you kind words and am looking forward to reconnecting with friends and colleagues here in the west coast.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

88. Peter Brown says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

Congratulations on your new assignment. You have proven to be a leader that we could all look up to at Drew Theological School. From earthquakes, to hurricanes, to freak snowstorms, to fires you led us through. I’ll always remember your faithful attendance at chapel as it was an inspiration to me and I’m sure others to always see you there! May God be with you as you continue to lead others.
    Blessings,
    Peter Brown

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Peter:

Thank you for your thoughtfulness. I see it as a calling to be at Drew the last 2 1/2 years and it was a privilege to have walk with the Drew community through all the challenges.

Blessings to you as you continue your studies at Drew.

Jeffrey

89. Ivelisse says:

Dean Kuan, I will miss your charisma, your great insights. Thank you for being a guide when I needed one the most. I know you are a blessing wherever you go. I also know our paths crossed for a reason, and I have faith that we will cross paths again. Bless you today, tomorrow and always.

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Ivelisse:

It was so good to have facilitated your going to Drew. You have added much to the community. You will make a great pastor.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

90. Elias Ortega-Aponte says:

Dear Dean Kuan, Thank you for your support, leadership, and optimism during your time at Drew. I wish you much success in your new endeavor!

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Thank you, Elias! I will always speak with pride about my first two faculty hires! You will continue to be an impact on your students.

Jeffrey

91. Amy J. Chase says:

Frankly, I want to be more like you! And by that I mean, I want to be kind, and a person who enjoys people, and encourages people toward a better future! And generous, and a good teacher, and a hard worker! Lest this begin to sound like a eulogy, I will sign off with my great appreciation and best wishes for the future! We will miss you so much!

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Amy:

I appreciate your kind words. I am so delighted that we were able to convince you to go to Drew. You will make a fine teacher and scholar yourself and if there is anything I can do to continue to be supportive of you, please let me know.

Blessings,
      Jeffrey

92. Peter Anthony Mena says:

Dear Dean Kuan,

I am personally grateful to you for your ongoing support and continued commitment to Latina/o students and in particularly through your work with the Hispanic Theological Initiative. The HTI has been instrumental to my work, and your support of it and of us is key. I am sorry to see you leave Drew, but I echo the voice of others in congratulating you on your new venture.

• Jeffrey Kuan says:

Dear Peter:

I am honored to work with Hispanic scholars and students. I am glad that HTIC has been instrumental in your work as a budding scholar. I know our paths will cross again and I will be following your progress through HTIC.

Jeffrey

93. oszusci says:

Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Cheers|

94. Hello! I just would like to offer you a big thumbs up for the excellent information you have got here on this post. I am coming back to your site for more soon.|

95. Druk PIT says:

hello there and thank you for your information – I have certainly picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical issues using this web site, as I experienced to reload the web site lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and could damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my email and could look out for a lot more of your respective exciting content. Ensure that you update this again soon.|

96. This piece of writing provides clear idea designed for the new viewers of blogging, that really how to do blogging.|

97. excellent issues altogether, you just received a brand new reader. What would you recommend in regards to your put up that you just made a few days in the past? Any certain?|

98. Hello all, here every one is sharing such experience, so it’s fastidious to read this website, and I used to pay a visit this web site everyday.|

99. Heya i’m for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It really helpful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to offer something again and aid others like you aided me.|

100. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my site thus i came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to enhance my site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!|

101. Druk PIT-37 says:

Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the web the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks|

102. I’m not sure where you are getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for excellent information I was looking for this info for my mission.|

103. PIT says:

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog. An excellent read. I will certainly be back.|

104. PIT says:

Hi, the whole thing is going nicely here and ofcourse every one is sharing data, that’s in fact excellent, keep up writing.|

105. PIT37 says:

I’m not sure exactly why but this weblog is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.|

106. PIT37 says:

Wow, this piece of writing is good, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds of things, thus I am going to let know her.|

107. Glen, piacere di averti qui! Prendetevi un momento e di visualizzare le regole del forum. Penso che vi aiuterà a prendere confidenza con come funzionano le cose da queste parti, così come la conoscenza della admins e mods.