Fill out a work request online and the University locksmith will correct that problem.  Make sure to be as specific as possible with your problem.  You can fill out a work request here:  Click on Open WebTMA Please be aware the mail room employees are not locksmiths and are not able to help with combination issues, so it is important the locksmith is contacted.

For your help with the phone line and voice mail.

Telephone lines, voice mailboxes, and Personal Authorization Codes (used for off-campus calling) will be provided to students upon request.  Students who would like to use one or more of these services should submit an online web form available on the University Technology web site under the student phone request link. Students need to submit this form even if telephone service was active during a previous semester.  Activation of service will take up to 7 business days.

For information about phone services at Drew:

  • Who can I ask for help in the Residence Halls?

You can ask any of our paraprofessional staff, Resident Assistants (RA’s) or House Assistants (HA’s, or the professional staff, Residence Directors, (RD’s).

  • What is the role of an RA?

RA’s are a great resource and are great people to get to know!  They know a lot about University policy and about using all of the opportunities available at the Drew.  They can also help you cope with difficult personal situations, but are by no means experts in counseling.  Feel free to talk to your RA about anything from room mate conflicts, to academic problems.  If the RA cannot help you themselves, they will point you in the right direction so you can get the help you need.

RA’s also handle administrative things like programming for the community, Community Standards, and University policy enforcement.  RAs are University Officials and are employed by Drew, working for the Office of Residence Life.  Should you need more help than an RA can offer you, call an CRD (Complex Resident Director) to assist.

RAs are also responsible for nights of duty throughout the month.  On each different night of the week, a different RA is on duty.  RA Duty schedules should be posted in every Residence Hall in a clear location.  If you need help, contact the RA on duty.

If you get locked out of your room, the RA can let you back in with their Master Keys.  RAs can let you back in if you present proper, official Drew University Identification and if it is BEFORE MIDNIGHT (12am).  After midnight, if you get locked out, you must call Public Safety at x3379.

RAs are students primarily, and then RAs, so please be understanding and patient with RAs if they cannot attend to you immediately.  RAs are NOT parents, magicians, carpenters, exterminators, plumbers, babysitters, police officers, banks, or superheroes.  But, feel free to visit, talk to, and hang out with your RA!

For more information, contact the Office Of Residence Life at 973-408-3394
RA Responsibilities.

  • Something is broken in my room.  How do I get it fixed?

Talk to your RA and they will help you will out the work order request on-line.  Be as detailed as possible.  You may access the work request page here: Click on Open WebTMA

  • My roommate and I are not getting along.  What can I do to improve my situation?

Speak to your RA and they will mediate and guide you through your options.  If they cannot help, they will put you in touch with the CRD of the building/complex. We encourage all students to attempt to work out all situations with their roommates first.

  • I just signed my Room Condition Report (RCR) now what should I do?

Make sure you take a copy of your RCR and thoroughly check your room.  Although the RAs do check all the rooms, it is done is a very short time span due to the rooms being occupied, and things can be missed.  By doing a thorough check yourself and contacting your CRD with possible changes, you will ensure you are not inappropriately charged at the end of the year.  You only have 48 hours after you move in to report any damages!

  • I have a great idea for a program in the residence halls.  How do I get the help to implement it?

You can contact your RA or CRD and they will guide you through the process of making your program idea a reality. You should also apply to be an RA so you can host your own programs!

  • I see signs for Health and Safety inspections.  What are they?

Health and Safety are performed early each semester and during each of the Residence Hall breaks.  In order to maintain a healthy, safe environment in the Residence Halls, the Office of Residence Life conducts room inspections several times during each semester.  Fines are imposed for violations (such as possession of prohibited items) and other infractions (such as alcohol contains in an underaged room).

  • Do I have to remove all my belongings from my room during breaks?

At the end of the fall semester (December), students are required to leave the Residence Halls, but do not need to remove their belongings unless they are checking out and not returning to their Residence Hall spring semester. Also, some buildings are used for housing athletes and other students over breaks–your Complex Residence Director will be in contact with you if this affects you. However, students are encouraged to take expensive property home with them. Clothes and other belongings can be left are left at the student’s own risk. Break Closing Information. See the section on the website regarding safety of items.

  • What if I lose my keys or Drew ID Card?

The Office of Residence Life is responsible for handing out key at the beginning of the year, but DOES NOT make or produce the keys and ID Cards in the office.  You can go to Pepin (Public Safety building) and ask Facilities to replace your key.  The Business Office is responsible for replacing your Drew ID.  You will be charged the cost of the key if it needs to be replaced and/or the cost of the ID Card if it needs to be replaced.

For more information, stop by Pepin or call 973-408-3510 for Facilities

  • What is the mailing address?

(Your Name)
Drew University
36 Madison Avenue
CMB (Enter # here)
Madison, NJ 07940

  • Can I stay in my room during breaks?

In order to remain in housing over break, you must have a valid reason.  Whether it is because of a work schedule or an academic component, all of those wishing to seek stay need to be approved by Housing and the Director of Residence Life and Community Standards.  There is a charge for those who remain during breaks.  Contact Residence Life and Housing for more information. Break Closing Information or 973/408-3394.

  • What should I bring when I move into my new room?

There’s a lot you could possible bring, but please remember that you have limited space and a roommate.  Under “For Our Students” check out the list of things to bring to the Residence Halls.  Please check out the things you cannot bring either. What to Bring to Drew.

  • What should I leave at home?

Please check out our list of what not to bring on the list of things you should bring to the Residence Halls.  Please remember that if it’s in doubt, it’s probably not a good idea.  Please contact the Office of Residence Life to confirm to see if you may bring it or not.  This list can be found in Daniel’s Dictionary under Office of Residence Life. What to Bring to Drew.

  • May I have a pet?

The only pets allowed are non-meating fish in residence halls.  We have this rule for several reasons, if you should require more information please contact the Office of Residence Life.

  • Are there things to do on the weekends?

Of course!  On campus there are events going on all the time.  Between the various clubs, organizations, and departments, there is always something to do!  Student Activites, Campus Recreation, and ResLife boasts its weekend programming scheduled.

  • How can I get involved at Drew?

We have a great section dedicated to this.  Click “Getting Involved” and it will tell you all about it.  You may also want to contact your RA or CRD for some great ideas.  We’re full of them! List of Clubs and Organizations on Campus.

  • What is the role of the Office of Residence Life?  What can I find there? What can it do for me?

The Office of Residence Life is located in Hurst Hall.  There, you will see the Director of Residence Life and Community Standards and other Residence Life Administrators.  ResLife is responsible for handling paper work stages of room changes, although the real room change leg work is done in the Office of Student Housing (x3681).

ResLife also finances many programs throughout the year, via the RA’s. BBQ’s, s’mores nights, community development programs, community beautification/building, diversity programs, and programs that talk about health and wellness are just some of the topics covered in ResLife events. If you have an idea for a program and would like to get it paid for by the office, contact your RA.

You can also find confiscated items in the ResLife Office. Throughout the year, the RA’s and CRD’s do Health and Safety Inspections to look for illegal items in rooms. For a list of illegal items, see Daniel’s Dictionary. If something of yours is confiscated, it will be taken to the ResLife office and you can pick it up at the end of the semester.

ResLife is also home to arts and crafts and many free samples of products…

  • I want to be an RA, what do I need to do?

So you want to be an RA?  Great!  ResLife holds information sessions that you would attend starting in November.  Afterwards we accept applications by a deadline, then hold a group processing day to see the dynamic between yourself and everyone else involved.  Once this is complete, we hold interviews to all candidates.  Decision letters generally go out in March.  This process lasts four months.  Check back often for our “Selection” updates.

  • Where can I do my laundry?

Every Residence Hall on campus has at least 1 washer and 1 dryer if not more!  These are accessible to you 24/7 unless posted otherwise in your respective Complex.  No money is required to operate the machines.

Of course!  We know how hard it can be to get a snack if your cooped up all day studying.  We have vending machines for snacks and soda in our  Residence Hall Complexes.

  • I want my room changed, what do I do?

First things first.  What is the issue?  Are you not getting along with your roommate?  After you have consulted your RA and have tried to mediate, and then contacted your CRD, there are a few steps you need to take.

  1. Talk to your CRD to see if there is anything else in your Complex open.  If you insist on moving out of the entire Complex please consult Housing.
  2. Once you have located a vacancy, introduce yourself to the occupant(s) of that room to see if it will be a good match.
  3. Submit this form:
  4. Wait for an email of approval from the Housing Coordinator, Robert Meade, 973/408-3681.
  5. Make arrangements to pick up your key with your Residence Director of the building you are moving into.
  6. Move your belongings into the new room prior to  10PM.

Note:  There is a room freeze the first few weeks of school.  Residents may not move until after the room freeze.  The freeze is put in place for many reasons, one of them to give you a chance to actually see if you want to move!

  • Who can have a car on campus and where do I park?

Only Juniors, Seniors, and Faculty may have their cars on campus.  As you see, there are limited numbers of parking spaces around.  Please be respectful and only park in your designated area.  Check out Public Safety’s site for more information.  Public Safety

  • If I can’t have a car, how can I do things off campus?

Great question.  Fortunately, we live in an area that is surrounded by a great wealth of public transportation.  You may contact a local cab company, use the NJ Transit trains, or public buses.  For more info, check out the “Maps and Directions” Section.

  • What is there to do in Madison?

Wow, you have no idea!  There is so much to do.  Please check out Madison’s own website for more information on the local business, arts, and restaurants:  The Rose City – Madison, NJ

  • What is the alcohol policy here at Drew?

At Drew, drinking alcohol under the age of 21 is prohibited and illegal.  We have a sight policy that the Resident Assistants (RAs) enforce and if seen with an illegal beverage in an illegal space, the situation will be documented and sanctions will be given at a later date in a meeting with a Complex Resident Director or Dean.

If you are over 21, you may possess and carry closed alcoholic beverages and consume them in your room with the door closed.   Drinking with a room door open makes the space a common area, accessible from the hallway by everyone, and is therefore considered breaking policy.

Kegs and alcohol served in large containers (coolers) are not allowed because you cannot measure the amount of alcohol being served to the consumer.

  • Who do I go to for help?

There are lots of resources on the Drew campus to go to for help. RA’s are a great first source to go to, but are by no means, experts in counseling or crisis management.  If you have a problem and need someone to talk to, the RA is a wonderful resource and can direct you to another office if he/she does not feel they can assist you to the fullest.  If you do not feel comfortable with your RA, it’s ok to approach another one or any CRD.

You may be redirected to the following offices:
Public Safety (non-emergency):  x3379
Public Safety (emergency):  x4444
Health Services:  x3414
Counseling Services:  x3398
Alcohol/Drug Counselor:  x3318
GOOD Hotline (5pm-9am):  x4663

  • What is a Theme House? What is an HA?

Another alternative to housing at Drew is living in a Theme House, which is a close knit community of people, all living around a common theme.  Each is focused around a different theme and people who live there are interested in contributing to that theme. Theme houses are wonderful ways to meet people who share the same interests as you, program, and live in more a “house” setting.

HAs or, House Assistants, are sort of the RAs of Theme Houses. They are in charge of house meetings, programming, and enforcing some policy, although they differ slightly in their duties. The HA is there to unify the house and make sure that the common goal of the house is understood. They may act as mediators in a debate, or lead a discussion about an issue in the house.

For more information about HA’s and Theme Houses, contact the RD of HERB Complex or visit: Theme Houses.

  • When may I move into my room and when can I leave it?

Move in and move out dates differ by year but are always posted on the Drew University calendar. Please check the calendar via and click on the link for “university calendar.” Final exam dates are posted on the Registrar’s website.

Checking in or checking out illegally results in a heavy fine, so make sure you know the dates when you can arrive on and leave campus.



You have several options.  You can inform your RA or CRD, you can write an Incident Report (through the ResLife website), you can contact Public Safety or you can call the anonymous TIPS line at x5656.

  • Why would I want to inform anyone of the act of vandalism?

At the end of the year all residents of the hall are charged for any unclaimed vandalism that occurs within the Residence Hall.  Essentially you pay for the damage if no one is identified as causing it.  Public area damage is not appeal-able!

  • I received an email stating I was documented in an incident report.  What does that mean?

Most incident reports come through the Residence Life webpage.  When this occurs an automated response occurs and sent to anyone who was mentioned in the incident report.  Usually, within a week an administrator will contact the person to set up a meeting to discuss the incident.  If students want to expedite the process, they may contact the Office of Residence Life, Housing, and Community Standards to set up an appointment, or 973/408-3394.

If we were not able to answer the questions that you had, please contact the Office of Residence Life!  If the office is not open, feel free to drop by your RA or CRD who can answer the question knowledgeably.