The Music Department at Drew is host to a dynamic choral & vocal studies program, providing opportunities for singers of all levels of experience:
- Choral Union (MUS 110): The Choral Union is open to students, faculty, & staff from the Drew University community and residents of the surrounding area. Singers of all skill levels have the opportunity to rehearse and perform the masterworks of choral-orchestral repertoire.
- Chorale (MUS 215): The Chorale is an advanced performing and touring choir whose members are selected by audition. Singers will rehearse and perform a wide variety of choral repertoire and serve as section leaders in the Choral Union.
Private Voice Lessons
Students also have the option of taking voice lessons with one of our several private instructors. A fee will be assessed for all students engaged in private instruction.
In order to determine the best fit for each student, we will ask you to participate in a placement appointment at the beginning of your first semester in our program. The purpose of this appointment is to get to know you and determine how we can craft the best vocal and choral experience for you at Drew. You can sign up for the placement appointment at the beginning of the semester by visiting the Choral & Vocal Studies bulletin board in the Music Wing of the Dorothy Young Center. At the start of each new academic year, the Music Department will also hold an informational meeting in our Concert Hall where you can learn more information about the department and the courses and ensembles we offer.
Ensembles and private lessons are courses, which means that all undergraduate students must register in order to participate. Variable credit options are offered (0, 1, or 2 credits), to provide students with the flexibility to fit ensembles or lessons into their schedules without causing credit overloads. Expectations for attendance and participation apply to all participants, regardless of the number of credits for which they are registered.
Students involved in vocal and choral activities at Drew have several opportunities to perform in our world-class Concert Hall:
- Department’s Works-in-Progress Concerts, held several times per semester
- Performances with Chorale and Choral Union
- Junior or Senior Recitals
For more information on the choral & vocal studies program at Drew, please contact:
Dr. Jason Bishop, Director of Choral & Vocal Studies
Dorothy Young Center for Arts, 111A Music Wing