Choral & Vocal Studies at Drew
The music department at Drew is host to a dynamic choral & vocal studies program, providing opportunities for singers of all levels of experience:
- University Chorus (MUS 110): The University Chorus is open to students, faculty, & staff from the Drew University community and residents of the surrounding area. Singers of all skill levels have the opportunity to rehearse and perform the masterworks of choral-orchestral repertoire.
- Chorale (MUS 215): The Chorale is an advanced performing and touring choir whose members are selected by audition. Singers will rehearse and perform a wide variety of choral repertoire and serve as section leaders in University Chorus.
- Madrigal Singers (MUS 217): Madrigal Singers is a vocal chamber ensemble (one voice per part) focusing on unaccompanied repertoire of the Renaissance era. Singers are selected by audition.
Students also have the option of taking voice lessons with one of our several private instructors. Lessons are offered on a for-credit or no-credit basis.
In order to determine the best fit for each student, we will ask you to participate in a voice evaluation at the beginning of your first semester in our program. The purpose of this evaluation is to get to know you and determine how we can craft the best vocal and choral experience for you at Drew. At the start of each new academic year, the Music Department will hold an informational meeting in our Concert Hall where you can learn more information about the department and the courses and ensembles we offer.
Credit or Non-Credit
All vocal and choral activities in the Drew Music Department offer academic credit. It is the student’s choice whether to enroll in voice lessons or choral ensembles for academic credit, or to participate for no academic credit. Whether or not you register for credit, the expectations and standards for your participation are the same.
Students involved in vocal and choral activities at Drew have several opportunities to perform in our world-class Concert Hall:
- Department’s Works-in-Progress Concerts, held several times per semester
- Performances with Chorale, Madrigal Singers, or University Chorus
- Junior or Senior Recitals
For more information on the choral & vocal studies program at Drew, please contact:
Dr. Jason Bishop, Director of Choral & Vocal Studies
Dorothy Young Center for Arts, 111A Music Wing