Computer Science

  1. Can I get AP credit for courses in Computer Science?
    A score of 4 or 5 on either the A or AB exam in Computer Science will give you 4 credits and exempt you from CSCI 117.  Additional course work in high school may exempt you from CSCI 151 after consultation with the department.
  2. What programming languages do you teach?
    We teach our introductory course in Python because it minimizes syntactic complexity, allowing you to focus on learning concepts. By the time you graduate you should know how to program in Java and Python. In addition, you’ll be exposed to: C, SQL, UML and be able to construct a website with HTML+CSS+JS.  We teach and use Java for the programming core of the major.
  3. Can I study Computer Science at Drew if I didn’t take any high school programming courses?
    Yes. We recommend Computer Science 117 for all students interested in computer science, whether or not they have had previous programming experience. If you want to know more about CSCI 117 or about our program in general, speak with one of the program’s faculty members.
  4. What kind of computer labs does Drew have?
    All Drew students are required to have a laptop computer. Having your own laptop means you are not dependent on finding an open, functional computer in a lab, and you can work on assignments any time and anywhere. In addition, Drew uses virtualization to ensure our students have access to the software they need to be successful–you’ll have access to all the software Drew licenses even when you are off-campus.
  5. Are there part-time job possibilities or internships for Computer Science majors?
    Students often acquire a summer or semester long internship with a company.  Unlike in many other disciplines, these are usually paid opportunities, and you can earn Drew credits as well. In recent years, our students have interned with investment banks, web design firms and large companies, including the BBC and Johnson and Johnson. Many CS students work on-campus at the CNS HelpDesk which provides computer support to fellow students. And, of course, tutors are always in demand for CS courses. A significant number of our majors apply to participate in the Drew Summer Science Institute and conduct guided summer research with a professor.  Your advisor will encourage you to keep your eyes open for opportunities that may appeal to you!


  1. Do I need to take the calculus placement exam?
    If you intend to take MATH 150, you will need to take the calculus placement exam.  Based on your score on the placement exam, you will either be placed in MATH 001 or MATH 150.  You must take the placement exam before signing up for either of these courses.  More information about the placement exam can be found here.
  2. What is the difference between Math 115 and Math 150?
    Math 115 is a one semester, applications oriented survey calculus course. The prerequisite for Math 115 is two years of high school algebra. Math 115 satisfies the [Q] requirement and it useful for a variety of majors including biology and economics.  It may be the appropriate course for students planning to take only one semester of calculus. Note that Math 115 does not fulfill the same prerequisites as Math 150. Math 150 is the rigorous first course in a two or three semester calculus sequence. This sequence is required for many science majors including chemistry, mathematics, and physics. The prerequisites for Math 150 are three and a half years of high school math including trigonometry.
  3. What should I take if I am thinking about majoring or minoring in mathematics?
    Students interested in majoring or minoring in Mathematics should begin with the calculus sequence Math 150 and Math 151 (or appropriate AP credit) followed by Math 310. It is desirable to take Math 310 by the fall semester of one’s sophomore year as it is the prerequisite for most upper level math courses.
  4. What math courses should I take to satisfy the [Q] general education requirement?
    You may use any course in the department towards your [Q] requirement except MATH 001.  The math courses most commonly used are Math 101, Math 111, Math 115, Math 117, and Math 150. It is a good idea look at the math requirements of any subject that you think is a potential major or minor before choosing a course for your [Q] requirement.
  5. Can I get AP credit for courses in Mathematics?
    A score of 4 or 5 on the AB exam will give you four credits for Math 150. A score of 3 on the BC exam gives you four credits for Math 150, and a score of 4 or 5 on the BC exam gives you eight credits for Math 150 and Math 151.
  6. If I get AP credit in Mathematics, can I use that to satisfy my [Q] requirement?
  7. What kind of calculator do I need for my math courses at Drew?
    There are no requirements to buy a certain kind of calculator. The calculator that you used in high school will generally meet all your needs.
  8. If I am having trouble in my math course, what can I do?
    First and foremost, you should speak with your instructor. The faculty member teaching your course has lots of experience in helping students learn the material and will have many suggestions for you. Peer tutors are available for any course through the dean’s office.