Smith House was built for Professor Edwin Earp and was called Earp House until 1983, when it was renamed in honor of Robert G. Smith, the founding chair of the political science department.


Smith House is an example of the foursquare style of house popular at the time of its construction in 1909. Made of shingle construction, it features the hipped roof, attic shed dormers, bay windows and wide front porch that is typical of the period.

The shingles are presently painted gray with mauve trim. Ionic columns supporting the porch, dentil cornices and pedimented front steps give this structure a classical look.

Department in Smith House