Originally the stables for the horses of William Gibbons who built Mead Hall and owned the property that is the Drew campus today. Asbury was converted to student housing early in the history of Drew.
HistoryAsbury Hall is an early example of adaptive use. Built circa 1834 as the brick stables on the Gibbons estate, it housed some 25 horses, wagons, and carriages. The original architect is unknown.
In 1871-72, the building was converted to a 72-room, three-story residence hall with a mansard roof and Second Empire dormer. The remodeling was probably concurrent with the construction of three \"professors\" houses on the campus in the same style.
After 1900, the building fell into disuse. When Drew became a college, more dormitory space was required. H.J. Carlson, of Coolidge and Carlson of Boston, was retained to remodel the existing building.
By 1929 it was redesigned into the Georgian Revival style with painted brick facade. The interior was also renovated. The paint was removed from the brick in the 1950s.