Patrons of the Wilson Reading Room at Drew University shall adhere to the following set of rules and regulations for use of materials in the research area. These rules are intended to both safeguard the materials and ensure equal and fair service for all patrons.
- Special collections and archival materials are non-circulating. They are made available in the Wilson Reading Room or University Archives office and must be used during open hours.
- Some, but not all, collections require appointments. Please contact email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com to inquire about appointments.
- Please request all archival material by filling out the appropriate request slips. The reading room staff will pull the items you request once the completed slips are received. This process can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes depending upon the amount of material requested. Patrons will not be allowed to enter the closed stacks to select or pull their own material.
- Some materials may be unprocessed or unavailable due to issues of privacy, government regulations, or preservation concerns. Use of materials is left to the sole discretion of the staff.
Using Materials in the Reading Room
- Pencils, not pens, must be used. Laptops and tablets are also allowed for note-taking purposes.
- Handbags, backpacks, briefcases, suitcases, and any other personal bag must be placed in the lockers outside of the reading room before patrons can make use of the research space. Locks are provided for patron convenience.
- Patrons are asked not to enter any controlled or restricted areas without permission. This includes areas behind the desks and any floor of the building other than the reading room floor.
- All library materials must be handled with clean, dry hands. Please use the restrooms to wash your hands before handling any materials.
- Do not eat or drink anything while in the reading room. If you would like to eat or drink, please do so in the lobby outside the reading room. Be sure to wash your hands afterwards.
- Research materials may not be marked or otherwise written upon under any circumstances. If you need to mark a page, acid-free bookmarks can be made available by the reading room staff.
- Items must remain in the reading room at all times. Do not remove any items from the room.
- Books must be supported as evenly as possible to prevent strain on the bindings. Staff will provide foam, book weights, and book stands as necessary.
- All material must be returned to the staff at the end of the day.
Duplication of Materials
- Personal digital cameras (including cell phone cameras) are allowed in the reading room; however, tri-pods and other mounted camera equipment is not allowed. All photographs must be taken without the use of flash.
- Research materials may be scanned only with permission of the reading room staff. Much of our material is too fragile for scanning, so some items may not be allowed to be scanned at all.
- Only scanners provided by the reading room may be used. Personal scanners are prohibited.
- Scans may be requested from the staff, for a fee.