Reference Librarian/Web Manager
Areas of Specialty:
- Computer Science
- Medieval History
Surprising areas of expertise:
- Food culture/cooking
- History of medicine
- Development of the Internet
- Neopagan movements
Why did you become a librarian?
I’ve always wanted to be a librarian. When I was in college, I was choosing between computer science and library science for graduate school. I reasoned that computer scientists (in those days) spent all day talking to computers, while librarians spent half the day talking to a computer and half the day talking to people. I went with librarianship.
What are your five all time top library resources?
- Grzimek’s Animal Life Encyclopedia. Like Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom with footnotes.
- Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, and in fact all dictionaries of quotations. Like Dorothy Sayers, “I always have a quotation for everything—it saves original thinking.”
- Cambridge World History of Food
- Britannica Online
- Google Scholar/Open Worldcat
At the Reference desk, or drop by her office: Learning Center 126 (Reference Area, Level C)
Or make an appointment for a consultation