Categories of Exchange Visitors at Drew University

University Student

In order to be eligible for the J-1 visa, degree-seeking students must be receiving a significant amount of funding from sources other than family or personal funds. This could be merit scholarships and stipends from Drew, the student’s home government, non-profit organizations, or the U.S. government (e.g. Fulbright). Exchange students who are non-degree seeking and visiting for one or two semesters will study at Drew on the J-1 visa.

Short Term Research Scholar

Individuals who are coming to the Drew campus for less than six months to conduct research may be eligible for the short-term scholar category. Scholars are also allowed to give lectures and teach, but their primary purpose must be research. The B-1 Visitor for Business visa may also be an option if an individual is coming for a short visit to present a lecture or attend a conference, especially if there is no stipend or payment coming from the University.

Research Scholar

The research scholar category is for qualified individuals whose primary purpose at the insitution is conducting research. A research scholar may also teach or lecture and the appointment to a position must be temporary. Many research scholars who visit Drew are receiving all of their funding from their home institution or government while on sabbatical or over a summer period.


The professor category is for a foreign national who enters the United States for the primary purpose of teaching, lecturing, observing or consulting. Visiting professors are not eligible for tenure-track positions.

Scholars and Professors have access to the libraries and other Drew facilities and receive a Drew email address and ID for their period of research and lecturing. The academic department sponsoring the individual is responsible for making housing arrangements if needed and other assistance as required. There are numerous restrictions and requirements for the J-1 visa category, so it is best to consult with ISSS if you are interested in inviting a researcher or professor to the Drew campus.

J-1 Insurance Requirments

J-1 Exchange Visitors and their dependents are required by federal law to have sickness and accident insurance for the duration of the academic program.  Minimum coverage requirements must include medical benefits, repatriation, medical evaluation \. Proof of medical insurance will be required by the International office upon arrival at the University and for travel signatures, extensions or any other J-1 benefits. Exchange Visitors who fail to maintain medical coverage are in violation of their J-1 visa status.

The new insurance rates are effective May 15, 2015 in accordance with the amendments to Subpart A of the J exchange visitor regulations at 22CFR62.14. Students and scholars whose programs at the University extend beyond June 30, 2015 will be required to have insurance policies that meet these new requirements.

Required Coverage Current Insurance Requirements

New Insurance Requirements

(effective 5/15/2015)

Medical Benefits $50,000 $100,000
Repatriation of remains $7500 $25,000
Medical Evacuation $10,000 $50,000
Deductible per illness/accident $500 $500

Maintaining J-1 Status

Information regarding J-1 policies and program adjustments is available at the Department of State’s website for the Exchange Visitor Program.  To review detailed compliance and regulatory information regarding the Exchange Visitor Program, please refer to the Code of Federal Regulations (22 CFR 62 Code of Federal Regulations).

Program Extension Information

Students, Research Scholars (not including the short-term category), and Professors may be eligible for an extension to complete their program objective. If you would like to request a program extension for an exchange visitor from your academic department, please ask the J-1 visitor to make an appointment with ISSS to discuss. If s/he is eligible, the dean of the school must submit a DS-2019 Extension Form.

Special Considerations for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program

Two-Year Home Residency Requirement

Some students may be subject to the two-year home residency requirements if:  1)  Funding is received from the home government or the U.S. government or 2) The home government has requested that students who are trained in a particular field (where there is a shortage of qualified personnel) return home for two years after completion of studies. The “Exchange Visitor Skills List” is available on the State Department’s website.

12 Month Bar After Previous Participation in a J Program

A person  is not eligible to begin a new exchange program as a Professor or Research Scholar if he or she was physically present in any J status (including J-2 status) for “all or part of” the “twelve month period immediately preceding the program start date.  This rule does not apply to exchange visitors who were in the U.S. for less than six months or for those completing a program transfer.

24 Month Bar on Repeat Participation

After completion of the J-1 exchange visitor program, a scholar or professor is prohibited from returning to the U.S. in the J-1 Research Scholar or Professor category for 24 months. This does not prohibit an exchange visitor from returning on a tourist/business visa or possibly in another non-immigrant category (such as the F-1 visa).