In order to apply to the Social Security Administration for a number, you must have the following documents:
- Form SS-5 (available online). You can fill the form out online and then print it out to take with you to the Social Security Administration. The SS-5 form is also available at the Social Security Office.
- Passport, I-94 record, and I-20(F1 visa holders) OR DS2019(J1 visa holders) (You must have all of these documents with you when you apply).
- Letter from International Student & Scholar Services to provide further support for your application.
- Hiring department must submit New Hire Form to ISSS.
- You must complete the following form to request a Letter of Support proving that you are eligible to receive a Social Security Number.
The Social Security Administration is located at 2200 State Route 10, 2nd Floor, Parsippany, NJ. The hours are 9am-4pm except for Wednesday hours are 9-12. Office closed Saturday and Sunday. The process normally takes about two hours.
I-94 records are available here.