William R. Kenan Jr. Professor of History
Drew University Scholar-Teacher of the Year (2001)
Presidential Award for Career Scholarship (2006)
Education: B.A. in History cum laude (1974), Princeton University. M.A. (1975) and Ph.D. (1981) in History, University of Pennsylvania.
Areas of Specialization: British history and history of the book.
Current research: A study of Winston Churchill’s literary career.
- Coeditor (with Simon Eliot), A Companion to the History of the Book (Blackwell, 2007).
- Reinventing Graduate Education in History,” Perspectives on History (February 2009)
- “Arriving at a History of Reading,” Historically Speaking (January 2004).
- The Intellectual Life of the British Working Classes (Yale UP, 2001). Winner of the Longman-History Today Historical Book of the Year Prize, the Jacques Barzun Prize in Cultural History, the British Council Prize, the SHARP Book History Prize, the Bela Kornitzer Prize, and the New Jersey Council for the Humanities Book Prize. Named a Book of the Year by the Economist magazine.
- Editor, The Holocaust and the Book: Destruction and Preservation (U Massachusetts P, 2001).
- Editor, The Revised Orwell (Michigan State UP, 1992).
- Coeditor, British Literary Publishing Houses, 1820-1965 (Gale, 1991).
- The Edwardian Temperament 1895-1919 (Ohio UP, 1986).
- “The Horizon of a New Discipline: Inventing Book Studies,” Publishing Research Quarterly (Spring 2003).
- “Education, Literacy, and the Victorian Reader,” in A Companion to the Victorian Novel (Blackwell, 2002).
- “The History of Books: Revised and Enlarged,” Studies on Voltaire and the Eighteenth Century, no. 359 (1998).
- “How Historians Study Reading,” in Literature in the Marketplace, eds. John O. Jordan and Robert Patten (Cambridge UP, 1995).
- “Working-Class Journals,” in Victorian Periodicals and Victorian Society, eds. Rosemary VanArsdel and J. Don Vann (U Toronto P, 1994).
- “Rereading the English Common Reader: A Preface to a History of Audiences,” Journal of the History of Ideas, January-March 1992.
- Contributor, The New Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford UP).
- Founding President, Society for the History of Authorship, Reading and Publishing (1991-97).
- Past President, Northeast Victorian Studies Association (1989-92).
- Coeditor, Book History (winner of the Council of Editors of Learned Journals Award for the Best New Scholarly Journal of 1999).
- Office: 16 Gilbert House
- Telephone: (973) 408-3545
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org