All medical care provided at Drew Health Service is strictly confidential. Only with your written permission will medical information be disclosed or released to anyone with the following exceptions:
The Dean of Campus Life and Student Affairs and others on a need to know basis will be notified when there is:
- Threat of harm to self or harm to others
- Life-threatening illness (except HIV/AIDS)
- Hospitalization following an emergency
Information will be released in the following situations, as required by law:
- Request for records by subpoena
- Some communicable diseases must be reported to the Department of Health
- Immunization records maintained at the Health Service must be available to some university officials and state inspectors on a need to know basis.
Notification of Family and Professors of Illness or Absences.
Students are responsible for notifying family and/or faculty of illnesses. In the event of a serious emergency or life threatening illness, the Dean or Associate Dean of Campus Life and Student Affairs will be notified and all efforts will be made to inform family & faculty if the student is unable to do so him/herself. For routine matters, the Health Service staff will respond to questions from family members or others about a specific visit or illness when the student has given us documented permission to do so. Students may request authorization forms for “release of information” from Health Services as appropriate.
Faculty should understand that Health Services does not give a student permission to miss class. Except for occasions when an office visit involves a serious illness, contagion or a recommendation for bed rest or limited activity, it will be up to the faculty to decide if the illness warranted missing a class or exam. It is recommended that faculty advise students of this policy at the beginning of each semester.
Client Rights and Responsibilities
You Have the Right:
- To receive considerate and respectful care at DUHS.
- To receive an explanation of your diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis in terms you can understand.
- To receive the necessary information to participate in decisions about your care and to give your informed consent before any diagnostic or therapeutic procedure is performed including procedures related to research.
- To refuse treatment, and to be informed of the consequences of making this decision.
- To expect that your personal privacy will be respected by all staff.
- To expect that your medical records will be kept confidential and will be released only with your written consent, or in case of medical emergencies, or in response to court ordered subpoenas. (Confidentiality may be withdrawn if the individual poses a significant threat to self or others.)
- To know the names and credentials of people involved in your care by official name tag and/or personal introduction.
- To ask and receive an explanation of any charges that may be made by Drew, even though they may be covered by insurance.
- To obtain another medical opinion prior to any treatment.
- To seek medical care from the provider of your choice.
- To review any medical records created and maintained by Drew Health Services regarding your care and treatment.
- To refuse to participate in experimental research
- To express any complaints you may have about the care you received by first notifying the Director of DUHS or the Office of Campus Life & Student Affairs.
You Are Responsible:
- For providing accurate information about your past health history this includes but is not limited to any medications including over the counter products and dietary supplements and any allergies or sensitivities.
- For asking questions if you do not understand the explanation of your diagnosis treatment, prognosis or any instructions.
- For following the treatment plan prescribed.
- For providing the necessary personal information to complete your file. This includes any living will, power of attorney, or other directive that may affect your care.
- For any charges billed to you.
- For showing respect to all health service staff and other students/patients.
Let us know if we are meeting your needs as a patient.