- Historic Preservation courses for summer and fall 2012 have been posted online.
- Historic Preservation Graduation Ceremony: June 14th, 2012, 5:30-7:30 pm, in Founders Room, Mead Hall, Drew University
- Friends of Mead Hall: “The Lathrop and Gibbons Families: The Civil War Through the Gilded Age”
- A 2004 graduate of the Historic Preservation Certificate Program has a new book out that was inspired by one of the course she took at Drew. It’s explained in the forward while she was taking Marta McDowell’s course on historic landscapes, she got the idea to write a book about the public parks in New Jersey that were designed by the Olmsted Brothers, Landscape Architects. The forty parks are primarily in Essex, Union, and Passaic counties and they also include High Point and Parvin State Parks. Here is the link to the book on the publisher’s website, Schiffer Publishing. The book is also available through Barnes and Noble (bn.com), and on Amazon.com. Feel free to contact author Jeanne Kolva at email@example.com if additional information is needed.
Preservation New Jersey
Preservation Advocacy Day
March 7th, 2012 – Washington, DC
NJ Future Re-development Forum
-March 9th, 2012 – 8 am to 4 pm
Best Practices Forum for Non-Profit History Organizations
-March 19th & 22nd, 2012
NJ State Historical Issues Fair
-March 30, 2012
-NJ War Memorial – Trenton, NJ
Spirit of the Jerseys History Fair
-May 12, 2012 – 11 am to 5 pm
-Washington Crossing State Park, Titusville, NJ
2012 NJ Historic Preservation Conference
-June 7, 2012
-Riker University, Trenton, NJ
Job and Volunteer Opportunities
Professional Qualification Standards.
Vacancy-The Morris Township Historic Preservation Commission
The Morris Township Historic Preservation Commission has spots available for graduates of the Historic Preservation program. There is no residency requirement for the position. It is a volunteer position, with appointment to the Commission approved by the mayor of Morris Township. The term is four years. The Commission meets once a month except during July and August. We review applications for building and renovation in the Township and provide advice to the applicants and to the Planning Board. Our other mission is to educate residents of the Township on the history of the township and sensitize them to preservation issues. If interested in the position, please contact Carol Barkin at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 973 631 5151.
Vacancy-The Summit Historic Preservation Commission
The Summit Historic Preservation Commission has an opening for a dedicated volunteer, and Drew Historic Preservation Certificate Program graduate, who is also a Summit resident. For more information, please contact Dolores Ward at email@example.com.
Resources, Tips, and Organizations
- Resources & Research Tools for Historic Preservation & Cultural Resource Management
- The New Jersey Historic Preservation Office
- New Jersey State League of Municipalities
- Heritage Preservation Services of the National Park Service
- Preservation New Jersey