Once I complete the M.A.T. am I qualified to teach in the public schools?
Upon successful completion of the M.A.T. program, students are recommended to the New Jersey Department of Education for a Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing. This certificate enables the holder to pursue a full-time teaching position in a public school. Currently, new teachers must successfully complete a one year induction program of teaching under a provisional certificate to be eligible for a permanent or standard New Jersey instructional certificate. Students interested in teaching outside of New Jersey should seek information from the appropriate state authorities. United States citizenship is required for standard (permanent) New Jersey certification.

When do I take the Praxis exam?
Applicants are required to take the Praxis I and Praxis II exams as part of the application process. Praxis I (or equivalent) and Praxis II scores are required for application review. Information on the exam and test dates are available on the Educational Testing Service website at http://www.ets.org.

I don’t have a car. How will I get to my fieldwork or student teaching?
If not within walking distance of Drew, many of the participating schools are on the New Jersey Transit train lines, easily accessible via the Madison train station, a short walk from campus. Every effort will be made to accommodate students without their own transportation.

Do I get to choose the school where I student teach?
Students submit their top three choices for student teaching placement. The program will try to match student requests based upon availability within partner school districts.

Is there on-campus housing for students?
Drew offers limited campus housing for full-time graduate students. Single students share University-owned houses or apartments. One, two, or three bedroom apartments are available on campus for married students and their families. Housing applications are sent to admitted students after they make an enrollment deposit. All apartment and residence hall applications are made to the Housing Office. For more information on graduate housing, visit the Residence Life Website.