Opening Events – Sunday, July 12, 2015
Our opening events will be on Sunday, July 12, 2015. You should plan to arrive at Drew between 12:30 pm and 2:30 pm. Enter the Drew campus at the Lancaster Road entrance and follow the Gov School signs to the Check-In point where you will be receive your room assignment and materials. From there you will be directed to a parking lot near your dorm. Signs will direct you to your dorm where you will move into your room.
You and your parents are invited, and strongly urged, to attend an orientation meeting at 3:00 pm in Baldwin Gymnasium in the Simon Athletic Forum. This is an important information session, particularly for parents, so please be on time. Before the meeting, there will be a reception from 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm in the lobby area of Baldwin Gymnasium.
To all Scholars and Parents
This page contains important information about the 2015 Governor’s School in the Sciences program. Please read ALL materials carefully.
Handbook– Important dates and information about check-in, housing, campus services, and policies.
Catalog – Course Descriptions, General Schedule.
CareerDayLetter – Invitation to parents to join us at our discussion of careers in the sciences on Saturday morning, July 18, 2015.
Below you will find a Family Checklist plus 8 forms to download and complete. MAIL the checklist and the forms back to us at the following address:
NJ Governor’s School in the Sciences
36 Madison Ave.
Madison, NJ 07940
All forms MUST be postmarked NO later than May 30, 2015.
We also need a copy of the FRONT and BACK of your insurance card, if you have one. In the event that you require medical attention while at Drew, this information is essential.
Please do NOT email these forms. They will NOT be accepted.
We will send you a confirmation email when we receive your forms.
If you have any questions about the forms or about the 2015 program, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FamilyChecklist: PRINT the Family Checklist, use it to ensure you include everything, and mail it back with your forms.
- Forms 1 and 2: Health Care and General Health Forms. These must be completed and signed by a parent or guardian. Also, include a copy of the FRONT and BACK of your insurance card.
- Form 3: CourseAndHousing. Read the Course Catalog carefully and indicate your preferences for courses. We will try to accommodate your choices, but please indicate as many alternate choices as allowed because it is not guaranteed that you will be assigned to your first choice. You will receive your course and room assignments when you register on Opening Day.
- Form 4: AcademicBackgroundSurvey Provide us with information about the courses you have taken so that we can properly place you in courses and team projects.
- Form 5: DeclarationAgainstPlagiarismForm. Pledge academic honesty. This must be completed and signed by the scholar.
- Form 6: NetworkUserAgreement. Read the Drew University policy for use of the internet. This must be completed and signed by the scholar, and only the LAST page containing the signature needs to be returned.
- Form 7: PhotoReleaseForm. This must be completed and signed by a parent or guardian.
- Form 8: ValuablesReleaseForm. We encourage you to leave valuables at home since these items are your own responsibility. Both the student and a parent or guardian must sign this form.
What to Bring
Here are some suggestions for the kinds of things to bring with you to NJGSS. Remember that you are responsible for your own personal property.
- Linens and Towels – This includes sheets, a pillow, blanket, bath and hand towels, and a pool towel. Beds require twin extra-long fitted sheets or a standard twin-sized flat sheet.
- Casual Wear – T-shirts, jeans, loungewear, etc. The dorm and lecture halls are sometimes quite cool, so be sure to bring sweaters/sweat shirts.
- Business Casual Attire for the end-of-program Scholars Conference – This important event is where you will be presenting your research.
- Sports Clothing and Equipment – Swim suit, work-out clothing, and equipment such as softball mitts, frisbees, and table tennis paddles.
- Dressy Casual/Semi-Formal Clothing for the final night Banquet – For guys: suits, sport coats/slacks, dress shirt and tie/slacks are all acceptable. For gals: dresses and skirts are the norm.
- Rain Gear – Umbrella and whatever you like to wear when it’s rainy in the summer.
- School supplies – Notebooks, pens, pencils and perhaps a calculator.
- Musical Instruments – These are allowed but you are responsible for keeping these safe.
- Miscellaneous – Alarm clock, desk lamp (not halogen), laundry detergent, laundry bag, stamps, stationery, hangers, quarters for washer/dryer, all the typical personal items.
For complete program details, see the NJGSS Handbook.