Dear GDR Graduates, Students, Faculty, and Friends,

Drew has just weathered a devastating storm—one that felled two dozen trees and shut down the campus entirely for a week—and I know that many of us continue to feel the effects of hurricane Sandy. I hope that this greeting finds you and your loved ones safe; our thoughts go out to those who have suffered loss and may still lack electricity or access to clean water, for example.  In the meantime, life begins to resume its normal rhythms, which for us includes the annual meeting of the AAR/SBL, this year in Chicago.  I hope to see many of you at the Drew reception Sunday evening, November 18, 2012, when we will be celebrating Otto Maduro’s presidency of the AAR.For more on the meeting—as well as a handy schedule of Drew faculty and student presentations—click here!

This issue features articles on three alums—Morrey Davis, Mary Nangweso Wangila, and Charles McCollough.  If you are an alumna or alumnus and would be interested in contributing an article or being interviewed for a feature, or if you know of another alum whom you think we should feature, please do let me know.  I am always moved and inspired when I learn about the lives and contributions of our graduates.

In this issue we also celebrate our new entering class and commemorate the amazing life of Adelaide Boadi, a student who died, tragically young, this past September.

Finally, you will also find articles on some exciting events that have taken place recently at Drew—lectures by Father Roy Bourgeois in honor of Ada-Maria Isasi-Diaz, an international conference on interreligious dialogue in honor of Drew graduate Dr. Pyun Sun Hwan, and annual Tipple-Vosburgh lectures devoted to “Faith, Race, and Politics“—as well as one that is upcoming, namely, the Transdisciplinary Theological Colloquium. This year the TTC will, in slight break with tradition, take place February 7-10, rather than in the fall. The theme is “Common Good(s): Economy, Ecology, Political Theology.”  Please join us if you can!

On a different note, some alumni/ae have asked me about access to Drew’s online library resources.  Unfortunately, we cannot offer blanket access; however, alums of Drew do have access to the database ATLAS for ALUMNI, which includes quite a few theology journals, for example.  The link is: http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?group=alumni.  The user ID is: drew. The password is: alumni.

As some of you know, I am not, as they say, “a facebook person.”  Nonetheless, on behalf of those of you who are, I am happy to announce that Drew’s Graduate Division of Religion now has a facebook page:  http://www.facebook.com/DrewGraduateDivisionOfReligion.  Please visit us, “like” us, and post any news or information that you think might be of interest to our community!  And even if you are not a facebook person, you may enjoy lurking a bit, as I do….

All best wishes,

Virginia Burrus
Professor of Early Christianity
Chair of the Graduate Division of Religion
vburrus@drew.edu

Posted in GDR