Updated January 1, 2010
The Drew University Purchasing Card is a Visa credit card intended for use by budget managers (or their designees) to make purchases of low-dollar value goods or services. The Purchasing Card is the preferred purchasing method which provides an efficient way to make purchases and payments.
The Purchasing Card Program is designed to empower University personnel to allow direct purchase of approved goods or services from suppliers which accept the Visa charge card. The program is intended for use by departments which are regularly involved in low-dollar value procurement transactions. Prospective cardholders and their supervisors are expected to read and understand the policy and procedural information provided within this document before making application for a card. You are also expected to keep a record of your transaction limits, default account number, card number and bank telephone number.
Benefits to the Cardholder
- Provides a quick and easy method to purchase required items.
- Reduces paperwork required for purchase and payment.
- Provides end users with increased autonomy.
- Allows weekend and evening transactions.
- Increases the vendor database to include suppliers which do not accept purchase orders.
- Eliminates the need for prepayment with order.
- Facilitates International Transactions.
Benefits to the University
- Reduces the volume of purchase orders, invoices and checks.
- Provides prompt payment which results in improved supplier relations.
- Enables Purchasing personnel to concentrate on higher value-added activities.
- For Drew University business only.
- For items with a value of less than $1,000.*
- For monthly totals not to exceed $10,000.*
- For purchases made in compliance with University Fiscal policy and procedure.
*Alternate limits may be established in special cases
Using Your Procurement Card
- Purchases may be made in person, through the Internet or by telephone. Be sure to use caution whenever giving card information to an Internet supplier.
- The default account number you have supplied will be charged for each of your transactions.
- It is the cardholder’s responsibility to ensure that purchases are made within the limits of the department budget.
- The monthly cycle for Purchasing Card activity ends on the 27th of the month.
- Advise the supplier that Drew University holds a New Jersey Sales Tax Exemption (22-1487164). This number is on the face of your card.
- Request that all paperwork supporting the transaction be sent directly to you.
- Maintain a transaction log. You should make an entry immediately after each use of your card. Your receipts must be kept with your log.
- Invoices (monthly statements) will be sent directly to Accounts Payable and paid without cardholder approval.
- Statement copies will be sent to cardholders. Statements should be reconciled against cardholders’ log and receipts.
- Each semester, cardholders must submit their log and backup to their supervisor for approval. Supervisors should check to ensure that cardholder is keeping log current and following procedures outlined in this document.
- Contact merchants directly to resolve problems or errors.
- NEVER give any information concerning your card to anyone who calls or sends you an email.
- If your card is lost or stolen, call PNC Bank IMMEDIATELY (800) 685-4039 and The Purchasing Office (973) 408-3309
- To activate your new card, follow instructions on the label which is on the face of the card. Use the last four numbers of your employee ID number as an activation code.
Travel and Business Entertainment
- Your card may be used for authorized University travel, lodging, meals and business entertainment. Cardholders are required to review the Drew University Travel and Business Entertainment Policy before using their card for transactions of this nature. This policy may be accessed through the Finance and Business Affairs web site.
- In the case of any transaction involving travel, lodging, food or beverage, the cardholder must submit a Travel and Entertainment Expense Voucher (Expense Report) to the Accounts Payable Office within 30 days of the transaction.
- Effective January 1, 2010, the Controller will conduct audits to ensure that cardholders are keeping adequate records and abiding by the provisions of this policy.
- Auditors will place emphasis on Travel and Business Entertainment transactions and review Expense Reports submitted in support of these transactions.
- Travel and Business Entertainment expenses, which have not been documented on a properly-completed Expense Report, shall be considered personal purchases and a violation of Fiscal Policy.
- Violations of this policy shall result in suspension of Purchasing Card privileges.
Restrictions Concerning Use
- The Purchasing Card is for Drew University business use only. Use of this card for personal purchases, even if there is an intent to reimburse, is a violation of University Fiscal Policy. Violation of this policy may result in disciplinary action including termination of employment.
- The Purchasing Card may not be used for any transaction type listed below:
- Cash Advances
- Computer Hardware
- The Purchasing Card may not be used to purchase any item or service which is normally provided by a University department such as Facilities, Telecom, University Technology, etc.
- Do not use your card to purchase any product from a vendor who solicits sales by telephone.
- The Purchasing Card may not be used to make partial payments for goods or services valued over your card transaction limit.
- The Purchasing Card may not be used to make payments for a transaction which was originally covered by a Drew purchase order.
- Do not use the card for continuing services such as America On-Line.
Responsibilities of the Cardholder
The cardholder is responsible for any purchase made with his/her card. Cardholder is expected to read and understand this document and to fully understand the policies and procedures established to support the Purchasing Card system. Additional responsibilities include the following:
- Complete a Purchasing Card Application Form and submit it to the Purchasing Office.
- Identify a default account number to be charged for Purchasing Card purchases.
- Carefully read and sign the Cardholder Agreement.
- Keep your card on your person whenever at work or on University business.
- Ensure that the card is used for University business only and within established University purchasing policy.
- Inform the supplier that your purchase is exempt from sales tax.
- Limit your purchases to items valued under your card transaction limit.
- imit your purchases to items valued under your card transaction limit.
- Limit your monthly purchases to your monthly expense limit.
- Surrender your card immediately upon request by any representative of Fiscal Operations.
It is the responsibility of each cardholder to keep a record of critical information concerning their card. This information includes card number, transaction limits, monthly cycle limits, default account number, and bank telephone number.