If you are admitted to Drew as a full-time adult student and your financial aid forms indicate that you need financial assistance in order to attend, you can expect aid in the form of a “package,” which may consist of grants, work programs, and loans. In addition, the University awards merit scholarships to transfer students; awards are offered in various increments and are based on strength of candidacy.   Most forms of financial assistance are not available to part-time students.

International adult students should review the information on Financial Aid for Adult International Students.

Merit Scholarships

Drew offers merit scholarships to recognize the accomplishments of full-time students who have earned a grade point average of 3.0 or better during their previous post-secondary academic work.   These renewable awards range from $5,000 to $16,000 annually, depending on your grade point average at your previous school.   These scholarships are available for, but not limited to, members of Phi Theta Kappa.   It is not necessary to fill out an application for merit grants.

CUE Incentive Grants

CUE Incentive Grants are for students, 24 years of age or older, who have demonstrated academic potential.  These are limited in numbers and are one-time only grants of up to $1,000 which are awarded over one academic year. They are available to both full and part-time students. The application form for incentive grants is available from the Office of Continuing Education.

Need-based Grants

Applicants for need-based financial assistance must file two forms: 1) the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and 2) the Drew University CLA Supplemental Form. Your responses to the questions posed in these forms indicate to the Office of Financial Assistance how much financial assistance you need in order to attend Drew. Need is the difference between your educational expenses–tuition, fees, room and board, textbook costs, and personal expenses–and what you can reasonably be expected to pay toward those expenses from your income and assets as determined by a federal formula.

As mentioned above, full-time adult students who demonstrate financial need can expect financial assistance in the form of a “package” which may include grants, low-interest loans, and work-study. The amount of your need-based grant is determined by the level of your financial need as demonstrated by your financial aid forms and also by your most recent academic performance–the higher your grade point average, the larger the grant awarded. Currently, need-based grants for adult students range from $3,000 to $11,000 per year.  Drew’s merit- and need-based grants may be combined to a maximum of $19,000 per year.

After we have awarded you the Drew grants for which you are eligible, we will then add other forms of aid, if you are eligible for them, to your financial aid package. These may include grants from the state and federal government and federally sponsored loans and work programs.

Need-based financial assistance does not carry over from year to year. You must reapply annually by April 1, updating and refiling a FAFSA.

Applying for Financial Assistance

Apply for financial assistance as early as possible. It is important to remember that it takes several weeks for financial assistance forms to be processed.  No action can be taken on a request for financial assistance until an admissions decision has been made, and the analysis of your FAFSA have been received by the University.

More information can be found on the Financial Assistance Department website, or by calling the Office of Continuing Education at (973) 408-3400.