And so we meet again, for the last time.

141101Parthenia-2-RylandWell here we are. This blog, much like all things in life, has at last reached its conclusion, or at least this incarnation of it has. The future is not set, you see. But I can say with certainty that you will not be hearing (reading?) from me again in the fall, because studying in London isn’t really conducive to reporting on the events in our Concert Hall. I’ve grown to love these interactions of ours, and they say that when you love something, you have to set it free.

But before I do that, I’m going to do what I do best one last time, and give you a short rundown of next year’s confirmed concerts. After all, that’s the least I can do.

If you search through our archives for a while, you’ll remember that I already gave you next season’s CMS line-up, so I won’t take up what little time we all have left here repeating myself. Instead, let’s start with a concert by Lyrica Chamber Music, a former employer of mine (man, it’s so cool to be able to say that). On Sunday, September 21, they’ll be presenting what appears to be a new version of Robert Schumann’s Davidsbündlertänze, which Wikipedia tells me is “one of the greatest piano works of the Romantic era.” Do we trust Wikipedia? I don’t really know. I guess you’ll have to judge its greatness yourself, huh?

I’m also going to tell you about a few of the da Camera Concerts, especially the one on Friday, October 3, because it features the return of Quicksilver Baroque, who are extremely cool. Their program is titled The (very) First Viennese School, which I guess means they’ll be showing us some work by the people who came even before the First Viennese School. That’s some real hipster stuff, man.

And then, and I’m infuriated that I’ll be missing this, the da Camera series will continue on Saturday, November 1, with Ryland Angel and Parthenia’s The Flaming Fire: Royal Music from the Tudor and Stuart Courts. Yeah. The only reason I’m not already clearing my schedule is because I’ll be in London (which, incidentally, happened to be the seat of power for both the courts whose music is being featured). But I would never forgive any of you for missing it. Ryland Angel is incredible. Trust me.

We’ll also be seeing the return of my friend (at least in my dreams) George Marriner Maull and his Discovery Orchestra on Sunday, November 9, and then Lyrica Chamber Music will be back again the next Sunday, November 16, with a program featuring Beethoven, Janacek, and Tolstoy, of all people. How does that work? I don’t know. Scope it out for me and report back, because I like Tolstoy a lot.

For now, all I know about the spring is that it will feature CMS, the final da Camera concert on Saturday, February 21, and even more Discovery Orchestra (April 19) and Lyrica (February 15 and May 3), plus the usual smattering of student concerts. More information may be forthcoming, but I have no clue how, or when. Uncertainty is the spice of life. Or was that variety? I mean it could be both. No reason life should only get one spice, right?

So that’s it, guys. It’s been a good year. I hope I’ve kept you entertained; it’s certainly been fun for me. And I’ve said too many goodbyes in these last few days to have the emotional strength to drag this out, so I’ll just make this short and sweet: Safe travels, and many thanks. This is Tyler Metteer, signing off.

Posted in Uncategorized