Greetings, fellow travelers of the world,

The Opera and Musical Theatre class hard at work.

It’s good to be back with you after last week’s hiatus, which was due in part to the fact that I had already bombarded you with information about every single thing that was happening, and I figured maybe you wanted a break. I missed you very much, but let’s not get too touchy-feely. We have business to cover, starting with the Music Department’s Capstone festival, in which the seniors presented their final, culminating projects. Chris Walters talked about and played his signature instrument (saxophone, for those who haven’t paid close attention), Justin Rosin did the same for his signature instrument (or at least one of several: guitar), my friend Katarina McKeever told us all about Schubert and his lieder, my other friend Rachel Schachter did some singing and speechifying about her double life as a student of early music and a singer-songwriter, and my other other friend Emily Crawford enlightened us re: the process of preparing a senior recital.

This would be a great opportunity to transition into a discussion of that recital, and you guys know how much I love fluid transitions, but sadly, it’s just not going to happen this time. Because between Capstone and the recital was Chorale/Choral Union’s final concert. It was great, and attendance was high (which we love), and the Requiem knocked their socks off. Andthen Emily and Justin had their respective senior recitals. To my deep chagrin, I could only attend Emily’s, but oh man. It was good. And “good” is a terrible, bland word, but its quiet simplicity really captures the greatness of her performance more than any bombastic adjectival exclamation could. She really is impressive, and I don’t want to go on and on about it, but it’s just true. Her stage presence almost rivals her vocal skill, which is a feat that not any old performer can accomplish, I’ll have you know.

And now I’ll seem like a jerk because I can’t wax sentimental about Justin, but I have no doubt that he was also a joy to watch. Because I’ve seen him perform before, and I always love it. I gather that all of it consisted of his original compositions, and I applaud him for his multifaceted skill set. And I also can’t compliment the Jazz Ensemble properly, because I wasn’t there, but I similarly know from experience that they were a delight. I’ll admit that I’m not a big jazz person, but I always get a kick out of their concerts. Sincerely. And all my friends are just so cool. I love them a lot.

Sorry. I know I promised not to get touchy-feely. Moving right along, it’s time to plug all of my own cool stuff, because it’s all happening RIGHT NOW OH MAN THE STRESS. Whoops, that just slipped out. Seriously, it’s all flooding in at once. On Friday at 8 the Madrigal Singers deliver our trademark blend of awkward, nerdy comedy and rapturous, nerdy music. I make a personal plea for you to be there, because I care a lot about this group and this concert, and we love your support. So that’s all I have to say about that.

Then on Saturday we have both the Flute Orchestra, at 2 p.m., and the Chamber Orchestra at 7 p.m. I like flutes, and I like my friends who are in orchestra, and I like supporting things I like, and I like it when other people also support things I like. So please come.

But back to my stuff. Cause this blog is ALL ABOUT ME. And on Sunday, I’m performing in three of the scenes from the Opera and Musical Theatre workshop. I refuse to tell you what they are, but they (and I guess even the ones I’m not in) are excellent and you should come see them at 5 p.m. And then on Monday, I’mperforming (along with the rest of All of the Above, and On a Different Note, and 36 Madison Avenue, if you want to get technical about it) in the a cappella groups’ End of Classes Jam. And I have a solo (other people do too, but we’re talking about me right now). And everyone else will also be their typically awesome, talented selves, so come on out at 8 p.m. to see them (but mostly me). And then, uh…. And then that’s it, folks. Sooooooooo….. Bye.

Posted in Uncategorized