Hey people,

Yura Lee
Yura Lee

Last time I told you about an upcoming event (the CMS concert). This time I will reflect on that event, then introduce future events. It’s a new system, so it might take some time to get used to, but I think we can weather this change together. So away we go. I wasn’t able to attend the pre-concert chat on Monday, much to my chagrin, but the concert itself was awesome. (Side note: I saw a couple of my residents there and it filled me with joy because I really think it’s awesome when my fellow students take it upon themselves to see this incredible music just for its own sake. I wanted to pass that along.) I think my favorite portion might have been the Largo section of Taneyev’s Quintet in G minor (man, didn’t that sound cultured?), in which all the instruments traded the same repeated descending phrase. It was mostly in the bass, but I really liked it when the piano or the violin took it instead and the other instruments played underneath it rather than the other way around. And then I also enjoyed Scriabin’s Five Preludes for Piano which opened the concert, mostly because Wu Han always looks like she’s having such a great time playing. They all seemed to be having a lot of fun, really. They always do. Sometimes I envy them. On another note entirely, our 2014-15 CMS lineup looks pretty great, so I don’t think you’ll ever have to worry about being deprived of great music here at Drew. We have music by our good friends Bach, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Mozart, Beethoven, Dvořák (man, that Dvořák, right?), and some more guys you’ve probably heard of, all coming up starting next fall.

As for the more immediate future, there are a few cool things inbound. First is the Masterwork Chorus’s performance of Bach’s St. John’s Passion on Saturday at 8 p.m. (preceded by a lecture from Director Andrew Megill), which I’ve been looking forward to for a while. I sang in the Oregon Bach Festival’s performance of his St. Matthew’s Passion several years ago. They’re more or less the same story, right? I hope so, cause I don’t speak German. Then, on Tuesday at 7:30, we’ll be hosting the third annual Merrill Maguire Skaggs Memorial Lecture. This year’s lecture is by Robert Tuggle, the Metropolitan Opera’s Director of Archives, and I understand that we’ll be getting a behind-the-scenes look at that august institution, which should be all kinds of fun. I’ll be setting some all-time high personal records for number of events attended in a row, because I’ll be at both of those, as well the next two or three concerts. Let it never be said that I don’t take my job very seriously (that’s not likely to ever be said anyways because I’m a fairly dedicated fella, if I do say so myself). And that is all I’m going to give you folks right now, because if I revealed all my secrets at once there’d be no reason for me to keep writing and then I wouldn’t get paid and I’d have to drop out and work as a lumberjack and probably develop a smoking habit in order to fit in and then get really sick and contribute to rising insurance costs and also feel generally unfulfilled and probably take it out on everyone around me and then I’d have bad karma and a tree would fall on me and break my spine and I’d never get to dance again and now I’m done goodbye.

Posted in Uncategorized