Good day (that’s how a professional opens a speech, I find),

Last week’s blog was exceedingly lengthy, so I’ll try to keep this one short and sweet. I mentioned last time that nothing pressing is coming up for a little while (except SPRING BREAK BOOYAH!!!!!!!!), so my colleagues and I put our heads together and decided that a good use of this rare down time would be to highlight and prepare y’all for the assortment of student performances that always build up at the end of each semester. Y’know, since the Concert Hall is at Drew University, and the primary focus of a university is (or at least should be) on students and their personal, intellectual, and spiritual growth. So I’m going to briefly mention a selection of our diverse student ensembles, and then list all our scheduled student performances in serial format, for you to plug into your calendars.

First up is a concert by our Jill Spurr Titus scholars. This program was established by the parents of a late Drew student for the purpose of defraying the cost of instruction for talented and dedicated young instrumentalists. My close personal friend Rachel Fintz is among them, and she’s awesome, so come to their recital on April 13th at 7 p.m.

Then, in a somewhat different vein, the Drew University Choral Union will perform Mozart’s Requiem on April 26th at 8 p.m. As you may recall from last semester, the Choral Union is a much larger ensemble consisting of Drew students alongside faculty and members of the surrounding community. This Requiem has been a real beast, and we’re working real hard on it, so please come out to support our efforts. (Yes, I’m in this concert. Yes, I’m kind of shamelessly plugging it. So what? There are perks to this job, and self-promotion happens to be one of them.)

I’m going to go ahead and keep plugging my groups, so the Madrigal Singers are up next. Our concert is on May 2nd at 8 p.m., and if you were at our last one, you know it’s lots of fun. We are also hard at work and I guarantee we’ll be super great. This will be the last Madrigal Singers concert for my very good friends Rachel and Emily, so show up for them, not me. I’ll miss them dearly.

And now for something completely different! This semester will mark the first (and possibly only, who knows) opera/musical theatre workshop, featuring the students of Assistant Professor of Music and Director of Choral and Vocal Studies Jason Bishop’s honors seminar. Before you ask, yes, I am in that class, and I will indeed be performing alongside my classmates on May 4th at 5 p.m. (Those classmates include a huge assortment of close personal friends of mine, so it isn’t all about me. It’s never all about me, all right?) Honestly, this should be really cool, and a very unique offering on the Concert Hall’s stage.

We conclude with a list:

• Chorus in the Forest (feat. Choral Union), March 29, 5:30 p.m.
  • Jill Spurr Titus Scholars Recital, April 13, 7 p.m.
  • Choral Union, April 26, 8 p.m.
  • Senior recitals by Emily Crawford and Justin Rosin, April 27, 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. respectively
  • Jazz Ensemble, April 28, 8 p.m.
  • Chorale, April 29, 8 p.m.
  • Madrigal Singers, May 2, 8 p.m.
  • Flute Orchestra, May 3, 2 p.m.
  • Orchestra, May 3, 7 p.m.
  • Musical Theatre Workshop, May 4, 5 p.m.
  • End of Classes (a cappella groups), May 5, 8 p.m.

Yep, that’s a lot. Make it into a contest with your friends. So much for keeping this short and sweet. On another note, my “O” key started sticking today, so that sure makes this typing thing a bit more difficult. I figured I could confide in you guys. Over and out.

Posted in Uncategorized