Welcome back, everyone!

Jean-Efflam Bavouzet
Jean-Efflam Bavouzet

I sincerely hope you all had a wonderful holiday season, and I don’t often do anything sincerely, so I hope you understand the full weight of that. My break was nice, thank you for asking! Busy and occasionally quite stressful, what with traveling across the country in such awful weather, but nice, overall.

Now as always, there’s not much time for chatting about banalities, so let’s just dive straight back in. This semester is shooting right out of the gate, starting with a lecture by journalist, blogger, columnist Ezra Klein, known for his work with The Washington Post (though the Internet tells me that he recently left that renowned institution to strike out on his own). Laudable, to be sure. As you might have already guessed, I was unable to attend this lecture, and so I am compelled to piece it together from my more reliable colleagues. What I can tell you is that he was a very engaging, quirky presenter, and that most of his talk consisted of questions, which is always nice. I assure you that you missed out; I know I did, and I’ll have to live with that every day.

However, there are lots of chances for you not to miss out on things in the next few weeks, starting with the very first ever in history debut performance of the Drew Camerata! The Camerata is Drew’s professional ensemble-in-residence, consisting of several highly advanced students, professors, and community members, and its program promises to be excellent, if my inside sources are any indication (and I trust them). The show is tonight, January 30, at 7:30 in the usual place (i.e. the Concert Hall). I’ll be there. Looking for you. Yes. You. And then, on Saturday, February 1, at 1 p.m., we’ll host a masterclass by flutist Ian Clarke, who will teach people how to play flute more good. Free for Drew students and faculty!

Most exciting of all, though, is the return of CMS and the da Camera series. CMS is back on Monday, February 3, at 8 p.m. with Pianos in Paris, a program which contains all the piano (or “painos,” according to my colleague Rachel’s poster) you could ask for, including two pieces intended to be played by two people on the same instrument at once. How does that work, you ask? Well I guess you’ll just have to find out. I’m looking forward to it. Finally, and coming up faster than you think, February 22 brings our first da Camera concert of 2014, which features the Quodlibet Ensemble. And that’s all I’m going to tell you right now, because building anticipation is essential to keeping readers hooked. That’s why American Idol always cuts to commercial right before they announce who “America” decided to vote off that week. I don’t like American Idol. Sorry. See you next Thursday!

Posted in Uncategorized