Hey everyone,

Areta Zhulla, violin
Areta Zhulla, violin

If you were at the CMS concert, you know it was incredible. And if you weren’t then I have to say: it was incredible. I mean oh man. Like wow. So piano. Very cello. Much composers. I’m not entirely certain how best to capture the experience for you, dear readers. First of all, the performers were incredibly talented (one of my fellow ushers was particularly enamored with Jose Franch-Ballester, the clarinetist who played the Hindemith piece), and the space was, as always, “sonically exquisite” (a publication said that about us last year, but I’m too lazy to go look it up, so I’ll just quasi-plagiarize instead. I hope you don’t mind. Go college.). And the music itself. It’s just… What can one as humble as I say? It was entrancing. The interplay between the instruments, the little musical winks and nods that you can catch if you really listen, the obvious passion and investment on the musicians’ faces, the mind-boggling complexity of some areas… It’s both rewarding and mentally exhausting to experience. The nice kind of exhausting, like you get after a good bit of exercise. Exactly like that. And just think: there are still two more concerts in the series! It’s all just so exciting.

Pretend I put a fluid segue in here. Because now I’m going to talk about student performances, of which many are imminent. I’ll just start listing, and you try to keep up. On Saturday the 23rd at 7 p.m., the Drew University Chamber Orchestra will perform under the direction of Marlon Daniel. That same day, at 9 p.m., the three a cappella groups will show off their stuff at JamNation (I’m in the co-ed one hint hint [so is our friend Rachel {I say “our” friend even though the average reader likely doesn’t know her (then again, you don’t know me personally either, so what’s the difference? [that is a lot of parentheses to put inside each other. Let’s see if I can keep them all straight here:])}]). Nice. Moving on. The student performances will start coming fast and furious once December starts, so be prepared. I’ll give you the run down next time, so don’t stress yet. Get lots of rest so you’ll be in shape. And make sure to get enough Vitamin C. That’s the one from the sun, right? If it’s not, then get whichever one is from the sun. Because we aren’t getting enough of it these days. The sun, I mean. K bye!

Posted in Uncategorized