by Tyler Metteer, CLA ’16, November 7, 2013

Salutations!

George Maull
George Maull

I have to say, I really dodged a bullet on Sunday. I completely forgot to bring cookies, but it didn’t end up mattering because no one mentioned the blog to me. Shame. On. You. That either means you’re too shy to approach me (which is ridiculous, because I’m as far from intimidating as a human can be) or you didn’t come to Discovery Orchestra at all, which I cannot allow myself to believe, because if it were true I would have to weep for each member of my vast membership. What I’m trying to say is, anyone who didn’t show up really missed out, because I (and by all accounts, the entire audience) had a great time. It was the most unique concert I’ve ever experienced. First, the Amphion String Quartet played the last movement of Beethoven’s String Quartet No. 3 in D Major. Then Discovery Orchestra founder and artistic director George Maull (whose Twitter handle was a source of great amusement to my colleagues and me) took over. Oh boy did he take over. The first half of the concert consisted of him leaping to and from the piano; assigning musical ideas to different parts of the audience and having them raise their hands when those ideas appeared; comparing a certain musical phrase to a Mexican hat dance; and explaining how Beethoven played with the ideas throughout the piece to create certain feelings in its listeners. Maull repeatedly asserted that classical music should be actively listened to, not just heard. He wrapped up the first half of the concert with a little speech about how Beethoven’s deafness affected his work. I had never given much thought to how tragic it must have been for a musician as talented and passionate as Beethoven to lose the ability to hear or perform his art, but I found myself moved by that realization. Dang music and its emotions… The Amphion String Quartet closed out the day by performing the entire piece from beginning to end, and the post-Maull experience was certainly more rewarding for me, at least.

Speaking of rewarding, I have a wonderful opportunity for you. Because what’s more rewarding than donating money to a shelter for cute fluffy animals? Honestly, the only way that could be better would be if you got to donate to fluffy animals and listen to great music. What’s that? You can do both those things this Sunday?! Yes, that’s right, I have personally pulled some strings to allow you the chance to help both the Mt. Pleasant Animal Shelter and your own ears, by attending Rio Clemente’s benefit concert this Sunday, November 10th, at 3 p.m. Mr. Clemente has been called “The Bishop of Jazz” by at least two websites, and that’s all you need to know, because it’s honestly all I know. Be there or be rectangular.

Posted in Uncategorized