by Tyler Metteer, CLA ’16, October 17, 2013

Yo. ‘Sup?

"Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By.'"
“Play it, Sam. Play ‘As Time Goes By.’”

I should open by apologizing for my apparent inability to count, since last week’s entry was clearly part five. While I’m assigning blame, I have to gently chide you, dear audience, since I counted only 15 people in the audience at Dashon Burton’s fantastic concert last Saturday. Surely our vast and outgoing readership can produce a better turnout than that. Honestly, it just makes me look bad. More importantly, everyone is really missing out! Dashon was predictably incredible and gave a moving performance. In our post-concert conversation, he made a wistful remark about his inability to act, but his beautiful emotion and expression during the performance clearly disproved that needlessly modest claim. He captivated us visually and aurally for the duration of the program, to the point that the intermission felt like the ending of a dream. A painful, beautiful, haunting dream. See? I can say meaningful things about music too, guys. Your faith in me is well-placed. On a non-musical but personally significant note, I learned that Logan Coale was born and raised two hours away from my hometown of Eugene, Oregon. We’re pretty much best friends now.

I’m sure you’re all hanging your heads in disappointment and shame for not being there on Saturday (if you were there, you’re my new favorite[s]), but don’t worry! You have not one, but two chances to redeem yourselves this coming weekend. First, on Saturday the 19th at 7:30, Drew’s vocal performance ensembles, from student-run a cappella groups to the Drew Chorale, will be performing together in the second annual President’s Mosaic Concert. The program promises an eclectic selection of pieces, so I can personally guarantee that you’ll like at least one song, or your money back. It’s a free event though, so the joke’s on you!

Speaking of jokes, the Drew Center for Holocaust/Genocide Study will take the concert baton on Sunday at 2 p.m. with their benefit cabaret “As Time Goes By: Music from 1933-1945” (clearly that had not a single thing to do with jokes, but give me a break; sometimes segues are hard). That concert will feature many professional cabaret and Broadway performers, and consists, as the title suggests, of music popular in the ‘30s and ‘40s. You may recognize that period as the one in which Jews and other groups across Europe were being rounded up and killed by some objectively awful people, so the contrast between the cheery music and the decidedly not-cheery historical backdrop should be interesting and thought-provoking. I’ll definitely be in the Hall on Saturday (on stage, in fact), so I’ll be deeply offended if all of you don’t show up to support me. Us. I meant us, of course. There is no “I” in “team.”

Posted in Uncategorized