by Tyler Metteer, CLA ’16, October 4, 2013

UpTown Flutes
UpTown Flutes

Hello once again,

I hope everyone’s doing well! That’s probably very optimistic of me, but I hope it anyways. I’m doing well; The Importance of Being Earnest, in which I happen to be playing Lane, opened this week at Drew and is going strong. Everyone should come see it! (Yes, that was a shameless plug.) But enough chitchat; let’s get down to the real business here.

As per my prediction, Trefoil treated audiences to a delightful performance last Saturday. Unfortunately, I was not in that audience. But, in keeping with the theme of delegating my real work to other people, I will treat you to some delightful words from my friend Emily, who was among Trefoil’s lucky listeners. “Trefoil’s extensive historical knowledge was aptly applied in their performance… When any and/or all of them sang, I could feel them listening to each other. The melody could be picked out among the polyphony as one voice would rise above the others, then fade away again for the next phrase of the melody to ascend… Trefoil’s performance was such a success because it blended different elements of the study of music. Extensive historical research informed performance choices. The group also succeeded in educating an audience while entertaining them.” Glowing praise, indeed. Thanks Emily! (I promise to give you all my own account of one of these performances. Someday.)

And now for the up and coming! As some of you may be aware, this weekend is Family and Alumni Weekend here at Drew, and as part of that delightful event, the Uptown Flutes, an eight-member flute ensemble, will present a concert which will include the premiere of “Flute Commute,” a piece by Drew professor and music department chair (and all-around good guy) Trevor Weston. The Flutes are an honest-to-goodness chamber ensemble (not an orchestra), so every artist plays their own part, which interweaves among the others in presumably delightful ways. The concert starts at 3 p.m. on Sunday October 6, with general admission tickets for $15.

Looking into the somewhat more distant future, the Concert Hall’s da Camera series will continue with bass-baritone Dashon Burton and bassist Logan Coale, who will present a program based on Lori Laitman’s song cycle Holocaust 1944, a piece composed on texts written by Holocaust survivors and victims. More information on that next week! In the meantime, enjoy the unexpected (and likely short-lived) pleasant weather!

Posted in Uncategorized