by Tyler Metteer, CLA ’16, September 11, 2013

Greetings, musically interested human beings!

Welcome to the one and only official blog for the Concert Hall at Drew University! For those of you joining us for the first time (which is everyone, since this is our first post), prepare for a thrilling journey into the mystical secrets of one of the most acoustically incredible spaces in the world. In the interest of full disclosure, it’s only right to admit that this will indeed be a voyage of discovery for everyone concerned, including yours truly. It is my intention to do all the legwork for you, dear readers, so sit, lie, crouch, or stand back each week as I chat about everything of note that has, is, or will be happening in the majestic Concert Hall.

For example, while I was sitting around enjoying my break this summer (read: working for minimum wage at a menial custodial job), the good men and women at the Concert Hall were hard at work facilitating several exciting goings-on, including recordings by renowned baroque instrumentalists Quicksilver; a two-day piano competition hosted by New Tang Dynasty Television; and a concert by the Garden State’s own New Jersey Symphony Orchestra.

Unfortunately, I missed all of those, Oregon being a good distance from Madison, New Jersey. But fret not! Many other exciting things are in store, and you can be sure I’ll be keeping you very well informed about them. Just this weekend, the nationally acclaimed viol quartet Parthenia will be recording in the Hall, and Reza Aslan, who was so recently thrust into the national spotlight for his bestselling Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth, will give a lecture on September 25th at 7:30 p.m. Also upcoming are Drew’s annual Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center and da Camera concert series, which I will be discussing in more depth in future entries. In the meantime, stay thirsty (for music as well as water) and always tip your delivery drivers; it’s a thankless job.

Posted in Uncategorized