1. The Directory of Holocaust Institutions (U.S. Holocaust Memorial Council)
The Directory of Holocaust Institutions (U.S. Holocaust Memorial Council) has been published annually since 1985. It includes information on approximately 100 institutions in the United States and Canada. The directory lists museums, resource centers, archival facilities, memorials, research institutes and libraries. Information includes names, addresses, phone numbers, activities, hours, purpose, collections, and publications. The primary listing is alphabetical, however the directory also includes a geographical index. A user’s guide and an activities and collection index are also in the directory.
2. Holocaust Studies: a Directory and Bibliography of Bibliographies (Penkevill Publishing Co., 1987)
Martin H. Sable’s Holocaust Studies: a Directory and Bibliography of Bibliographies (Penkevill Publishing Co., 1987) is primarily a directory. A small bibliography of bibliographies arranged by language is included in the beginning of the book. English bibliographies are followed by Hebrew bibliographies, bibliographies in the languages of the countries of Europe, multi-lingual bibliographies, and finally Yiddish bibliographies. The bibliography covers books published before 1986. The directory is divided into three parts:
- Associations and Community Councils
- Educational Organizations (libraries, archives, research centers, etc.)
- Historical Sites (museums, memorials, gravestones, etc.)
The arrangement within each section is alphabetical by nation. The directory covers most countries in the Americas, Asia, Africa, Europe and Australia. Interestingly, the most comprehensive coverage is for the country of Romania. Two indexes are included: an author index for the bibliography section and a geographic subject index for the directory.
3. Association of Holocaust Organizations Directory
The best, directory source is compiled by the Association of Holocaust Organizations. The directory is divided into two sections:
- 1. The directory lists all the members of the Association. Information given includes address, telephone number, person(s) in charge, hours open, services offered and publications. Institutions listed are mainly in the United States, though a few are from Canada, Israel, Australia, Japan, Russia and the Ukraine.
- 2. The second section lists the officers and board of directors of the Association of Holocaust Organizations.
A copy of this directory can be obtained free of charge from the Association of Holocaust Organizations.
4. The United States Memorial Museum Web Site
The United Stated Holocaust Memorial Museum’s web page contains links to related organizations’ web sites. Connect to the USHMM’s Main page and type “related organizations” into their search engine. A list of approximately 560 sites will appear.