Drew University actively supports students who show extraordinary commitment to community by offering Civic Engagement Scholarships. These Drew Civic Scholars not only receive a monetary award, but also join an exciting civic engagement program that will increase their service and leadership skills and experiences. Drew Civic Scholars participate in special classes, workshops, seminars, and off-campus service projects. They also mentor and lead students from all disciplines who are interested in making the world a better place.
The Drew Civic Scholarship is offered in the amount of $20,000 ($5,000 per year). A commitment to the academic and co-curricular program described above is required in order to maintain the scholarship and Drew Civic Scholar status at Drew for up to three additional years.
The Civic Engagement Scholarship Program is a program of Drew University’s Center for Civic Engagement. It seeks to embody the mission and values of the Center through a four year progressively demanding program that builds students’ capacity while benefitting society. Each year, Civic Scholars are asked to engage in activities that will increase their abilities and understanding of how best to serve our shared world.
Civic Scholars program highlights:
- All first-year Civic Scholars enroll in a special College Seminar: “Community Service” taught by the Director of the Center for Civic Engagement and a weekly Civic Engagement workshop focused on practical skills-building
- Sophomore Civic Scholars enroll in a 2-credit Civic Internship with a non-profit or government agency and participate in skills and leadership development workshops as well as special leadership opportunity teams
- Junior Civic Scholars work on special events, alternative break trips, service projects, and other ways of increasing Drew’s impact in communities.
- Each scholar contributes 100 hours of work to the community beyond Drew
- All Civic Scholars enroll in Community-Based Learning (CBL) classes to connect their community work to their academic interests and majors
Learn more about this scholarship and how to apply