Drew University’s on-site child care center––Drew Child Development Center was established in 1990. It provided child care services to the Drew community with an emphasis on social, emotional and educational growth. After 20 years in the Carriage House on campus, we have established a new school in a new location—The Acorn Academy located on the edge of campus in the United Methodist Church of Madison. Our new location offers the same “on-site” convenience as well as the opportunity to grow and expand. Due to overwhelming demand for placement in our program we sought a larger facility to accommodate the needs of our families.
Our initial expansion will include a full-day Kindergarten.
The Acorn Academy embraces the “Responsive Classroom”—an approach to teaching that emphasizes social, emotional and academic growth in a strong and safe school community.
Key Guiding Principles
- The social curriculum is as important as the academic curriculum.
- How children learn is as important as what they learn: Process and content go hand in hand.
- The greatest cognitive growth occurs through social interaction.
- To be successful academically and socially, children need a set of social skills: cooperation, assertion, responsibility, empathy and self-control.
- Knowing the children we teach—individually, culturally, and developmentally—is as important as knowing the content we teach.
- Knowing the families of the children we teach and working with them as partners is essential to children’s education.
- How the adults at school work together is as important as their individual competence: Lasting change begins with the adult community.
Five Programs are Available
- Infant: 6 weeks to 12 months and 1 to 2 years old
- Toddler: 2 to 3 years old
- Pre-School (3s): 3 to 4 years old
- Pre-School (4s): 4 to 5 years old
- Kindergarten (5s): For children eligible for Kindergarten
Hours of Operation
The Acorn Academy operates Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m.–5:30 p.m. Kindergarten hours are 9 a.m. to 3 p.m (Options are available for early arrival and/or afternoon care). A calendar including holiday closings is available upon request.
The tuition is a monthly fee payable on the first day of the month. We do not pro-rate tuition for absences due to illness or family vacations. The Acorn Academy follows all University holiday and emergency closings, early dismissals and delayed openings. Please contact us for our rates.
Licensing and Staffing
The Acorn Academy is licensed by the State of New Jersey Department of Children and Families. The teaching staff is comprised of dedicated educators with many years of experience. The Lead Teachers are certified in Early Childhood Education.
To register or request additional information please contact us at:
Nancy Opperthauser, Director