To request a subject tutor, please stop by at the front desk in the Writing Center and fill out a tutor request form.
Subject Tutoring Parameters:
- Both group tutoring and individual tutoring is provided, depending upon tutor availability. While we try our very best to provide individual tutoring to the fullest extent possible, in cases where student need is of high volume and tutors are limited in number, the office will set up group tutoring/walk-in tutoring. The OAS does not guarantee individual tutoring sessions for every request.
- Tutors do NOT help with take-home tests (paper or online) or quizzes (paper or online). Tutors will NOT give students work/notes to copy/turn in, or do homework for students. Tutors will NOT write papers for students.
- Peer tutoring can ONLY be used as supplemental assistance to understand content ALREADY covered in class. Tutors do NOT teach new materials a student missed from being absent in a class. For significant content-level assistance, please talk to your professor.
- Students must be prepared for their tutoring session. Tutors have the right to end the session if a student has not come fully prepared with books, notes, assignments, and lesson goals.
- Each student is limited to 2 hours per week per subject, except where academic accommodations have been provided through the Office of Disability Services.
- After two “no shows,” (i.e. not coming to a scheduled session without prior cancellation notice) a student will lose scheduling rights, and will need to meet with the Assistant Director for future sessions to be scheduled.
- The CLA Office of Academic Services strives to provide peer tutors for all courses. However, we cannot guarantee the availability of tutors for every course.
All subject tutoring sessions MUST be held in the Drew Library or the Writing Center, and between 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. To ensure a safe learning environment for student and tutor, subject tutors hired through the CLA Office of Academic Services are required to not hold tutoring sessions in any other location on or off-campus or outside of these hours.