Qualities of a good student
Today’s students are tomorrow’s leaders. The qualities of the student are of great impact to determine the student’s bright future and career. So, who is a good student? What are the qualities of a good student? Historically, the term ‘student’ refers to anyone who learns something. However, the recent definition of a “student” is mostly used to refer to anyone who attends school, college, or university.
Again, what are the good qualities of a student? The list below shows the qualities of a good student.
- Attitude: Basically, a good student possesses the ability and willingness to learn new subjects even if the subjects are not interesting.
- Academic skills: Acquiring academic skills is the most important quality of a good student. Ability to read comprehensively, to write effectively, to speak fluently, and to communicate clearly are the key areas in which a student must be proficient. Having a good command in all these areas will make a student to shine in the class.
- Ability: A good student has the ability to apply the results of his or her learning into a creative way and achieve the goals.
- Perceptiveness: How well a student can interpret and perceive meanings from a conversation greatly determines the quality of a student. A good student always perceives right meaning from conversations, but an average student often misunderstands the original thoughts of a speaker or writer and derives a wrong conclusion.
- Self-Discipline: Discipline in managing the time is an important factor that every good student must possess. Often delaying the tasks, such as writing assignments, reading text books, etc, may negatively impact the ability of a student to achieve the goals.
- Understanding rather than memorizing concepts: Resolving any doubts by asking about them on the spot is always a good thing. Several surveys suggest students must understand the concepts rather than just memorize them. The memorized facts and theories will stay in student’s memory until they leave school, college, or university. Once out of school, the students will totally forget the core concepts that they had learnt. Therefore, it is essential for a good student to understand the concepts.
“How To Become A Good Student.” Wikibooks, The Free Textbook Project. 29 Sep 2013, 09:48 UTC. 11 Nov 2013, 19:57 <http://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=How_To_Become_A_Good_Student&oldid=2561734>.
Frequently used forms:
- Academic Worksheet
- First-Year Student Four-Year Planning Form
- First-Year Student Planning Checklist
- Weekly and Semester Planning Calendars
How to Study
How to Study using the Samford Method
Navigating Courses for Students by Disability Type
Feeling Stressed Out???
Use Your Smart Phone to Help
Assistive Technology That’s Built into Devices