Academic Difficulty:

Students experiencing academic difficulties in a course should:

  1. Be encouraged to meet with the course instructor first.
  2. If tutoring is recommended, faculty should refer students to the Academic Services website, where a student can make an online request for a peer tutor, free of charge.  Tutors should not be recommended to offset poor attendance, failure to do readings and assignments, incompatibility in student’s schedule and professors’ office hours, etc).
  3. Encouraged to discuss their issues with their academic advisor.
  4. Faculty should contact the Associate Dean of Academic Services to consult about a proper course of action.

Attendance (Excused and Unexcused Absences)

Faculty need to take attendance every class.

Any and all absence monitoring should be done by faculty. Students missing class should provide documentation to Judith Redling, Associate Dean of Academic Services. The Dean of Academic Services will notify the faculty of the reasons for the student’s absence within the guidelines of confidentiality. Any penalties for absences are under the purview of the faculty. Faculty concerned about excessive absence should send a Warning Notice.  Absence Verification Form

Behavior Problems and Classroom Management

Students who exhibit inappropriate behavior in the classroom should be asked to leave if the behavior continues.  If you fear for your safety, you should contact Public Safety 973-408-4444 and the Office of the Dean of Campus Life and Student Affairs, 973-408-3390.


All faculties will include a statement about disabilities accommodations on their syllabus.

Any questions regarding a student’s disability should be directed to the Office of Disability Services. If you suspect that a student may have a disability, contact the office as well. The office maintains extensive lists of referral services for students with disabilities.

Students, who wish to use Academic Accommodations, need to register with the Office of Disability Services. Documentation of disabilities is required by a licensed professional and must be less than three years old.

Faculty resources are also available and one-on-one conferences can be arranged, for faculty seeking assistance in learning more about a teaching strategies when dealing with a student’s disclosed disability.

No retroactive accommodations are permitted.

Warning Notices

Faculty should submit an alert for students who show patterns of poor performance, lack of attendance, failure to submit work, etc. Early Warnings should always be written TO the student, not to the advisor or a third party. Students in danger of failing and receiving recommendations to drop the course should receive warning notices BEFORE the add/drop period ends when possible.

Responding to a Warning Notice as an advisor:  You will receive copies of any warning notices that have been submitted for your advisees. You should keep track of these to see if patterns begin for any particular student. If so, request a meeting with the student as an intervention.

The Office of Academic Services will receive copies of warnings. The Disability Services Dept. will review any warnings for students with disabilities and intervene where necessary.

Final Exam Schedule Changes

Any change to a final exam schedule should be minimal, if not rare. Only in exceptional cases (and only during the final exam period) should an exception be considered. Students making such requests should speak with the Associate Dean for Academic Services to determine validity and justification for change. The Dean will verify the legitimacy of the request and communicate with the faculty. However, the ultimate decision lies with the faculty. Request to Reschedule a Final Exam Form

Incomplete Grades

An Incomplete is a temporary grade that should be assigned rarely and only in exceptional cases beyond the student’s control.  The student should be earning a passing grade in the course, with only a limited amount of work incomplete because of the exceptional circumstance.   The Incomplete should not be given to allow the student to resubmit work already submitted or to simply grant the student more time to complete the required work of the course.  The Incomplete is appropriate when exceptional circumstances (such as severe illness or a death in the family) have significantly impeded the student’s ability to complete the required course work on time.

  1. Student meets with course instructor and requests incomplete. Faculty member agrees and then the faculty member submits a request for an incomplete grade to the Associate Dean of Academic Services. No requests for incompletes will be granted after the deadline date.
  2. After a review of the faculty submitted information, the Dean will approve (or reject) an incomplete and assign a due date (as recommended by faculty), not to exceed six weeks.
  3. The Academic Services office will maintain a record of all incomplete grades and the progress, ensuring a grade will be submitted for each. Failure to submit all outstanding work will result in a grade of “F”. Reminder emails will be sent to student and faculty of pending due dates.
  4. The registrar’s office will receive a faxed grade from the course instructor indicating the grade to be recorded as the final grade on the Grade Change Form.

 Leave of Absence (Voluntary)

Students requesting a Voluntary Leave of absence should discuss their intention with their academic advisor. If a leave is deemed appropriate, students request a Leave of Absence/Withdrawal in Tree house. It is forwarded to the Associate Dean of Academic Services for approval. Students should make an appointment with the Associate Dean of Academic Services to discuss their request at 973-408-3327.

Petitions to Academic Standing

Students need to file a formal Petition to Academic Standing for issues outside of stated academic policy. All petitions are submitted electronically via Committee review dates are bi-monthly, during the semesters only, and posted on the Academic Services web site.

Examples include the following:

1.         Students returning from a semester Required Leave

2.         Students returning from a voluntary leave of more than 2 semesters

3.         Students requesting course withdrawals after the add/drop period

4.         Students requesting additions to a course after the add/drop period

5.         Request for extensions of an Incomplete

6.         Retroactive withdrawals from classes

7.         Grade Changes

8.         Late requests to add an Internship

9.       Appealing credit limit restrictions

Re-Admission (Voluntary)

Students fill out a form available at indicating intended semester of return and are automatically reinstated. The student will be re-assigned to their previous academic advisor for course scheduling.

Re-Admission (Medical)

Students fill out a form available at indicating intended semester of return. Then the student will be referred to the Dean of Campus Life and Student Affairs to ensure that all conditions for returning to Drew have been met. If so, student is reinstated by the Registrar and assigned to their previous advisor.